1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried regarding return to classroom

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by msmith87, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I started my PGCE last year 2009/2010. After passing both my first two placements as outstanding I got to my third, final placement and hated it. I was bullied by the staff and this inturn led to me leaving this placement due to depression. Luckily my University have allowed me to re do my final placement again. I am currently volunteering in a fabulous local school but I am very worried about going back and finishing my final placement, any ideas or advice would be more than welcome. I am studying for an Early Years (3-7) PGCE.

2. I started my PGCE last year 2009/2010. After passing both my first two placements as outstanding I got to my third, final placement and hated it. I was bullied by the staff and this inturn led to me leaving this placement due to depression. Luckily my University have allowed me to re do my final placement again. I am currently volunteering in a fabulous local school but I am very worried about going back and finishing my final placement, any ideas or advice would be more than welcome. I am studying for an Early Years (3-7) PGCE.

3. Work with your training provider. Sit down with your tutor and find out why you've failed/had to leave, and what you need to do to pass next time. Ask for a target or targets. Hopefully with the right kind of information they will be able to find you a suitable placement for you, in a school noted for good support and where they have experience of retakes.
    As for you, you are doing the right thing getting further experience. This is important because it gives you the chance to learn and hone your skills and strategies without being put on the spot, being constantly under scrutiny. Observe many different teachers, including NQTs if you can, as you can learn a lot from them.
    Make sure your new placement school has all your details, including reports and crit sheets from your previous placements, plus targets agreed with your tutor, so that they can support you appropriately from the off. Making a good start is important, as it builds up confidence, which I suspect you are lacking.