1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried my job offer is about to be retracted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tsis77, May 30, 2019.

1. Tsis77

Tsis77 New commenter

Hi all,
    I’m terrified that I’m going to have my TA job offer retracted I have taken in all my certificates, received my DBS certificate with no problems. Now HR have been in touch and said my references aren’t adequate.
    Basically I’ve been at home with my children for 12 years, the referees I used were a former work colleague I worked alongside for 3 years and a friend of 20+ years but HR are saying they need a reference from my former boss/line manager. The problem is they were both in their 60’s 12 years ago and are both long retired (it was a school too) I’m not in touch with them anymore and no way of getting hold of them. The lady I spoke to today says she is seeking advice on if we can proceed and I’m so scared this means they’ll say I can’t have the job what can I do?

2. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

Hi, I would give HR your previous school's information and that should be enough. Head teachers/line managers move on/die/retire all the time and don't continue being viable referees. Your old school will be able to verify employment dates and anything else HR want to know. That's how I've dealt with the issue in the past and it was never a problem. All the best.

phlogiston and pepper5 like this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As @annie2020 says, you have the previous schools’ contact details. Phone them. Explain the situation. If it were me, I would ask if the Head I knew could be contacted with regard to a reference - and leave my contact details for them (hopefully) to get in touch.
    Alternatively, there may be someone still at the school (Deputy Head?) who may be able to help.
    Take the initiative and do everything you can to supply a reference from a Head who employed you.
    When Heads leave/retire it is always worth asking whether you may have contact details in case you need a reference in the future.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.