1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried I'm useless

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knickersinatwist, Nov 22, 2009.

1. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Can I join this club? Feel this way too, recently; think it's because confidence has been shattered. agree with lily; find myself needing to 'prove' myself.

2. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Good luck with the interview.
    i constantly worry about being found out too. i am going to look up 'imposter syndrome' that sounds interesting.
    At the moment in my class we are being constntly critisisied. (i cant spell it) and it just makes me feel so low and depressed.

3. The bizarre thing is, I have proof from my lesson obs that I can teach, but my brain tells me I was lucky, or they have low standards. I sometimes think about giving up teaching and doing something I know I am good at but I love teaching.

4. In my opinion a lesson ob either way is not that trustworthy. It tells you on a certain day you were either great or terrible and will have no bearing on the next lesson. Your own gut instinct and a teacher's in built honesty will tell them if they are good or not. A person from SMT who couldn't wait to run out of the classroom is usually the last judgement you should rely upon.

5. How do you know if you are a good teacher? Is it all behaviour management? Is it grades at the end? Is it the relationship with the kids? Is it the planning / marking / resources? Is it all of these things? Do you have to be perfect in each of these areas?
    I agree with lesson obs - I have had a couple of lessons that were dire because I made a bad decision on what to do. Anyone observing would have given me an unsatisfactory for sure. But I recognised it was wrong and didn't do it again.

6. read your last paragraph again. It sounded like a good teacher to me.

7. I think if you are spending time worrying about not being a good teacher you probably are one. In my experience its those teachers who think they're great and everything's fine are the ones who can't do it. From everything you said in your first post, you are a good teacher, I'd be proud to have you in my school - you sound like you know what you're doing and you're clearly being reflective and trying to improve your practice all the time. If your class is also making good progress you can relax. You're doing fine!

8. I agree with the unsupportive sh¡chool making it worse. It helps to have colleagues who are very supportive though. I feel I cannot motivate liks¡ds to listen adn learn with all the pressures to get thru the work and the objectives... at times too hard. I have some low abilities and no support and sometimes I get nervous to go into work.´
    No suggestions sorry...sometimes it is up to the kids too!!!

9. I've written a post about this -"Leaving teaching to run a pub" in the NQT forum. I reached the stage where on one hand my external CRIS assessment was a high score, but within the dept I felt I was seen as the little boy who needs a pat on the head now and then. I know I'm a good teacher, but unfortunately I no longer love it. I'm waiting for the bank's decision this weds (2 days). If successful, my notice will be in Weds and by next Thurs I'll be running a country pub working for myself. This may not be for everyone, but for me, teaching just doesn't suit, it makes me doubt myself more than in any other job - I deserve better than that.

You're probably a fab teacher if reports are good. Don't leave because you think you have to improve - that's something that can be worked on if you love the job. The time to leave is when you truly hate the job.

10. maybe you are really rubbish and all your concerns are rea. that is how it is for me anyway, I'm convinced!

11. I mean real!

12. Most teachers feel like this and that is what was intended when the NC was introduced all those years ago. I am now sixty and when I entered the profession most teachers were self-confident and fulfilled. Sufficiently confident to question nonsensical government diktats and to refuse to comply with them when appropriate. That had to change as the ruling elite do not want teachers who can think for themselves teaching children how to think for themselves. Hence the constant moving of the goalposts, the setting of unachievable targets for teachers and the imposition of excessive bureaucratic workloads.Keep them confused, exhausted and insecure and they will not have the time or energy to provide children with a meaningful education.
    Hey, the plan worked didn't it?

13. I completely feel the same, it has been such a relief reading all these posts because I honestly thought I was the only one. Other teachers do seem so confident but then I pretend to be confident every day so maybe they believe me too? Anyway I have my first observation as an NQT on Friday (I work part-time so this first obs isn't as late as it sounds) and I am literally terrified. Somehow I managed to teach a really good lesson in my interview and I think now the head will be really disappointed when she realises I am rubbish and they should have given the job to someone else [​IMG]

14. You have made me feel a whole lot better! I always thought was the only one who felt like this. I have been teaching since 1977, and I feel at my lowest ebb as a teacher. I feel rubbish, and that everyone else is better than me, even though I have good exam results from my groups. I criticise myself all the time, and know that I care too much. I can't stand the work load either - I want my life back. Am looking at alternatives but not easy at my age. Its not the job I trained for.

15. I'm a TA currently working with a fantastic teacher who expresses these concerns,before anyone says I am not an overbearing "I know better" nor is the other class TA.I think a lot of the feelings of incompetence we all feel from time to time are down to the pressures of the job,to reach targets ,in our school to teach in sets and for the children to have exemplary behaviour.In an ideal world yes ,but they as we do have off days ,stop putting yourself down .Your doing a worth while and difficult job ,pat yourself on the back and take credit for your achievements,there will be children in years to come telling their children I rememember Miss so and so (mine was Mrs Denny) she helped me master this or enjoy that.Go on shout it out You're Great You're a Teacher !! (TA of 20 years )

16. Wow, I can't believe I've found so many people who's confidence is as low as mine. I'm returing to teaching from having a break after children and I feel I just can't do the job anymore. Quite a lot has changed and it makes me feel even more reticent about returning to the profession. What's bizarre is that other people seem to think I'm a good teacher, but I fail to agree even though I've had several great lessons, which should have boosted my confidence. I'm due to cover a long term sickness next year and I'm petrified I'm going to fail and be found out.

17. Just wanted to say to everyone- that having read this post I feel a lot better. I have lost a lot of confidence recently, after having a few parent complaints, and a bad lesson observation. I have been working hard to improve class behaviour and having tried various strategies things are slowly improving. I was starting to wonder whether all teachers feel down now and then. You do begin to question yourself and your methods, but the children are slowly improving so perhaps I had nothing to worry about.

I do think I am probably teaching the wrong year group as I did enjoy teaching a lot more than recently. Having trained for the past 4 years I have worked too hard to pack it all in. Everyday is a new day, so will take it a day at a time until I suppose 'they find me out'- is it that I just haven't mastered the act of acting. teaching is a big act isn't it?

18. 1. Go and see other teachers teach - do you see much difference in your own style of classroom management?
    2. Get other colleagues to observe you as often as possible - teaching assistants (give them a focus - your treatment of girls/boys, top/lower achievers etc), subject leaders, year group leaders... - the more you get in, the less likely you will panic in the future.

19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

ah, another thread for 'new' posters ....

20. This is so me, I feel like the youngest teacher mentally in the school even though I'm in my thirties, I feel incompetent most of the time even though I get praise. I had a lot of time off sick and have found it hard to get back into believing in myself again.