1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried im becoming dull and boring!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sciencequeen00, Dec 15, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

Spend a lot of my time planning lessons, making my teaching good and really getting into my job, I love it! Trouble is I have met up with a few friends over the last few days and I sound so dull coampared to them!!! They have office based admin jobs and talk about their boozie nights out, stories chasing men they like.... I had the best time in my 20s doing that at university and on teacher training aswell as when i went away travelling the world for a year.Now i just feel like i have no ~" fun stories" to tell as im always concentrating on teaching each eve, i am determind to be a brilliant teacher.Then at weekends I want time with my partner as time is precious!

2. I think it's called being a grown up. [​IMG]

3. sciencequeen00

True!! Trouble is I just feel so boring and i dont know why! I play sport, I love my career, go on nice holidays..... but some how my friends can make an evening out sound so amazing and drag out every detail! Im not that best person at really telling a story an djust say what I need to i guess, maybe i should pad out my stories abit more!!!!????

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Are you genuinely interested in
    ? It sounds more like my year 11 class, to be honest!

5. Do you really feel boring, or do you just think that other people will think that?
    If the latter, then why should you care?
    If the former, then what do you think would change that?

6. sciencequeen00

Yes I agree it does!
    And it interesting that the friend who tells these stories didnt have much of a life at uni and it seems she is now living her life! She suffered from an eating disorder at uni so never went
    out :-(
    .We are all around 30 and i loved uni and lapped up then fun, now though i still want fun but also want to settle down!!

7. sciencequeen00

I do work on school stuff EVERY eve and worry that this doe slimit my friendships, over holidays is the only time i really see all my friends and catch up....

8. sciencequeen00

does anyone else feel like this?

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Which won't pay anything like as well as yours or have particularly good prospects.

If you don't like your lifestyle and the demands of a professional job you're free to look for something less demanding.

10. sciencequeen00

Yes totally agree, im very well paid and love my job!
    Just felt abit low but im beginning to realise that Im not boring at all, it is just that a few of my friends are living their lifes now at 30 in a way that i used to at uni and in my 20s!!! Its kind of hard to get your head around their "year 11 style stories" i guess!!!!!!!

My only issue is that i do spend alot of time on my job during week nights and am concerned i might be missing out but this is only a rare thought...but does sometimes bug me!

11. For a couple of years or so I had to go to Madrid on business two or three times a month. By air mainly, from UK, France, or Gemany: but sometimes by train. I was on business, so I met people in their workplace, not as a tourist, and engaged their passions for what really mattered to them in their struggle to make a living. At a dinner party in the UK I sat quiet on the sidelines for a whole evening whilst one of the guests waxed lyrical about Madrid and its glories. She'd been there for less than 24 hours on a coach trip. Some of us have got it, and some of us haven't ? and you can read that two ways.

12. OP if you are concerned you are working too much, try doing the work life wizard on Teachers support network-then post on here and let us know how it came out [​IMG]
    http://teachersupport.info/about/online-support/Work-Life-Wizard.php

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

OP- have you considered taking up crochet?

14. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

D'you know what, I don't miss that stuff at all. I've one friend who has until very recently been in that position, although she has now joined the ranks of the settled-with-partner, and although I enjoyed hearing her stories I didn't envy her them. And I know that it was definitely a second-best scenario for her, too. It's nice to go out occasionally, but once you're past a certain age I think it gets too much like hard work- I certainly couldn't make a habit of going out on a weeknight. I get up early for work and baby, and even without Chiquita, I would need to be in bed by 10 in order to feel human the next day!
    Is it your friends making you feel like this? Perhaps you've currently less in common with them than you used to have- no shame in that, and sooner or later they'll probably get to the point you've already reached, and interesting stories will revolve around different things.
    You have done that stuff and you are a more interesting and rounded person for it. But you've moved on and are getting enjoyment from being a good teacher and a good partner now- and again, there's nothing wrong with that. I bet that secretly your friends are quite envious of you in a way. Chasing men isn't really fun, is it- it's such a minefield! And surely the aim of it is to find a partner- which you have.
    Don't apologise for who you are or who you have become. If you are happy and you enjoy your life, that is all that matters.

15. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

My non-teaching friends used to appreciate that they would not see me or hear from me towards the ends of terms, as that is the 'knackered' and 'hanging on in there' phase. However, comments were made about 'coming out of hibernation, it's the holidays isn't it' and they also knew to not bother me the first day of the summer holidays and that I would catch up with them a few days into it, once I had caught up on the sleep and recovered from end of term celebrations.
    There are a couple of us from uni who are now teachers, and its been strange as we have generally ended up with differing professional and personal lives, but we all sit and catchup every so often without partners/babies etc, and we are all just the same as we were at uni, perhaps a little better behaved.
    Times change, and things settle.
    B x

16. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Why don't you tell them some horror stories of what we have to tolerate - my friends find it hilarious/shocking/unbelievable. Usually trumps the office "fun"

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It's not you, it's them - you know that! Of course we all know that the job takes over your life but it's an interesting job .Yes term time is full on but in the holidays you have time for relaxing in whatever way you prefer and catching up on your drinking if that's really important to you. Stick with them if you must and time will soon move on and they will be boring you with tales of getting engaged, wedding plans, home improvements, and ...wait for it ... babies! They are the boring ones.