1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried by the ICT agenda

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by -, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Guest

A good letter in the TES this week:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6243809

Dr Peter Twining says "My advice to heads is to stick with the existing programmes of study through key stages 1-3, recognising that they offer scope for inspirational teaching".
    Sadly - I think in a lot of secondary schools the horse has already bolted - IT being cut down to the bare minimum and/or making its way out!! I am sure schools are making some big savings on staff costs already!!

2. And in another lot of schools, I doubt there is any change at all. As a head in a neighbouring school told a colleague about the Gove announcement, "if we listened to everything the government said then we'd get nothing done".

3. The consultation finished in April. Is this the calm before the tsunami? I do wish Gove would get on and kill ICT quickly, and let us start planning for teaching Computing. The absolute worst thing he can do after whipping up a frenzy of critical discussion about ICT a few months ago is nothing. Let's hope he doesn't make a complete bollok of this, but I am starting to think he might yet grasp complete failure from the jaws of successfully doing something about ICT.

4. Dear mymoose.

There was no 'frenzy of critical discussion'.

If ICT dies, so will the numerically insignificant Computer Studies syllabus as David Willetts made clear a few weeks ago.

Result?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I agree - there was no 'frenzy' at our school just the quick decision that ICT goes at KS4. We are just about hanging in there at KS3 with one member of staff being 'redeployed' to another department. It's looking grim.

6. Dear mymoose / djphillips

You must have been living in a bubble.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Brighton56 - I like it!! Good list. Now that I have some free time with Year 11 gone I going to draw up a plan for key stage 3 - I think I'll use your list as a starting point!!

8. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Nice list now if only BCS had listened to that rather than Gove and didn't just push their own agenda!!!!!

9. Just to say it again.

There is too much on that list for a GCSE.

If the kids 'covered' that it would not be in any depth or to any level of understanding.

Trying to do all of that would be a recipe for OCR National style box ticking and no education.

10. It's a decent list, they just need to start early to build up the confidence and depth of knowledge to be able to do some of the tasks quickly and confidently when assessed on it in Yrs10/11. Stick with it, i'll be considering teaching a lot of this from Yr7 onwards next year so we ramp up to GCSEs slowly and they are confident and academically strong prior to any exams.

11. 'do it quickly' = not understand it.

Every time.

12. Just loving the optimism in here today!

13. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

My list is not just for GCSE. Students can begin to study a lot of the concepts in Key Stage 3 and then build upon their knowledge at KS4.

14. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I do agree with this. KS3 1 lesson a week you're not going to get deep concepts sorted so you'll need the old basic KS3 skills in there with computer software/hardware. KS4 with 3 lessons per week is better, but still quite a lot to cram in!
    Do we need to do:
    • Digital film making, editing and publishing
    • Audio manipulation
    Under the new curriculum when Media Studies or Music can cover them?

15. brighton56

Interesting point. What do other teachers think?

16. Guest

I think JohnBrown / NotJohnBrown should sit in the corner bemoaning how it used to be in the good old days / it's not fair / if only I had more time / can't be done etc. etc,

Brighton56 / tonyuk / jonathantorbitt /pat892 promote themselves to "UK ICT/Computing Steering Group" and get on with the task of producing some truly amazing lessons which will make this subject great again! Where do you all live guys?

17. brighton56

I have to be honest and own up to the fact that I am no longer an ICT teacher. I am currently an Acting Head in a primary school.
    I am however very passionate about ICT and I keep up-to-date with the changes. I suppose I am lucky in a way because I get to visit Secondary schools in my area all the time and see good ICT practice.
    I do think that we need to unite as one to make the subject ICT great again!

18. Guest

Good for you Brighton56 - a headteacher that supports ICT!! Love it! Let's keep this positivity going guys!

19. Would it be better if I praised the idea to the hilt and asked why the kitchen sink wasn't added as well? It needs people with some insight and sense of reality to rein in the yaysayers - a group far more destructive than naysayers have ever been.

You clearly have no experience and are willing to march kids through a load of ********, all of which they will forget and none of which they will be able to use in the future - because they don't understand it. Probably you don't either.

That is the bad old days and it's muppets like you that will take us back there.

20. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Well if I can enthuse a kid in the classroom to do interesting things with ict then I am happy. There are to many people out there teaching to their agenda and what they like to teach. What about switching kids onto ict in its broadest sense. We now have the highest take up at A level in our courses including computing, networking, A levels and more media based areas......why because we teach a broad based curriculum in ks3/4 much of that included in the list and kids enjoy their educational experience in an inner city school I consider that a result!