1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about the summer holidays

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wookster, Apr 11, 2019.

1. wookster

wookster New commenter

I'm starting to worry about finances over the summer holidays. It will be 6 weeks without money and going on last year's supply I didnt get work come in til 1st week of October. So that is about 10 weeks without money just not doable!
    I'm looking for ideas what people do to survive.
    I can't work over the summer during the day as have a 4 year old at home without childcare.
    Suggestions please?
    Thanks Wookster

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The market may have changed but I used to register with general temping agencies, Over the years I had some nice little job that in other circumstances I might have fancied keeping as permanent.
    Mainly office based stuff (as a teacher you have loads of transferable skills) but also various other stuff.
    Agency gave me very short term stuff at first but better offers later - I think if they get good reports about you they'll put more work your way.

I love it, so completely different from teaching. A change is as good as a rest, they say.

3. wookster

wookster New commenter

I've tried agencies for temping nothing has come my way as yet I can keep trying tho.
    I guess I will be looking at overnight work as I need to be here during the day for my son.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

I save money weekly, all year, for the holidays, I know it's not always easy to save but at least you have more idea of your weekly /monthly income

FrauRussell and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I know this response isn't 'right' or 'fair' for people who work damn hard but please take it in the spirit which it is intended - as a suggestion not a solution -

eBay, I recently raided the loft & made £500 after fees selling stuff I never wear anymore & wont use again. Granted this was mainly nursery stuff like cots/car seats but also a few retro computer consoles I own but never play on & some other stuff which has been sitting up there for an age

Is it a long term solution - no
    Is it fair you have to do this as a professional with 2 degrees - no

But it's the best I can offer at the minute

Me I register for Carers allowance for my daughter & get £60 a week or there abouts

6. wookster

wookster New commenter

Yes thank you I certainly have a spare room full of stuff to sell at a car boot soon I would love to make 500 that sounds a cool amount !

I guess I need to look at other type of permanent jobs not in a school that could give me a start date before the end of July.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. wookster

wookster New commenter

I haven't been in a position to save unfortunately just making it through month to month tbh. I feel like i have had a horrendous year or 2 financially. Things need to be on the up now !

agathamorse likes this.
  8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes, eBay can make you money, but as a caveat try not to price your items too low. I find some people want something for nothing so don't budge on your original price. Also, a good tip is to time it so your auction ends on a Sunday evening as people seem to get bored then and will turn to eBay!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  9. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Grow some "tomatoes".

BTBAM85, steviepal and tonymars like this.
  10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Aren't you able to claim JSA for the weeks you are away from supply teaching? It's around £70 a week, which should come in handy.

supplybychoice likes this.
  11. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Unless you have items which will attract buyers such as The - Gaffer did I think you will struggle to make a profit selling on ebay. I have sold quite a lot over the years and people simply want things as cheap as possible, then you have all the fees to consider which now includes your postage which they will take a percentage of. Try selling on Facebook as that is free and simply arrange pick up. Have you thought about car boots, although again you will struggle as people want something for nothing.
    If you cannot work during the day you are going to struggle even more, can you not put the little one in a holiday club? Have you thought about bar work, for most Summer jobs you will find yourself competing with students. Try your local 6 th form colleges, in the past I have seen adverts for data entry work in August once all the new students enrol.

FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Have you considered working for Central Office, as a Troll?
    They actually employ people to frequent chatrooms, in order to influence opinion and support agendas.

13. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Wookster, as other people have indicated most will register with temp agencies and do everything from warehouse to office work. I did part-time evening work on a day to day basis ( 4 hours a day) were the agency phoned up to see if you were available, I have a dodgy shoulder which can ache at times, I even did a 7 pm to 3 am shift once.

Also some also signed on and claimed JSA or the new Universal Credit, which produced an income and crucially can be combined with part-time work, as well. Hopefully there will be similar work available again this year and provide a summer income for us essential supply staff.

I hope this helps

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  14. wookster

wookster New commenter

I didn't know I could claim jsa thank you

15. wookster

wookster New commenter

Ill check out local pubs for some waitressing work too I used to do that many years ago!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Be careful, the rule used to be (but might have changed now) you couldn't claim JSA if you being a supply teacher was your job. The reason being is that you were not seeking a job because you already had one. The fact you weren't getting any money over the summer is one of the factors that being a supply teacher means, you will be earning again after the summer and should have made allowances for it.

So what you do is tell the dole office that you are looking for a permanent job (teaching or otherwise) and just doing supply teaching until you find one. That is what I was told to do by the person processing my claim anyway. But that was a few years ago you might not get away with that loophole now.

Mock thee not. I knew a supply teacher who supplemented his supply income with a horticultural sideline. All perfectly legal including the choice of "pot" plants he choose to grow and sell. ;)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

So, can supplies claim JSA when we're not earning?

Not so long ago I tried to find out at one of the few 'dole offices' that remain open on my patch. I couldn't even get past the security men who told me that the very very few jobs there were, were only for the the long term employed. I tried another one but saw a scuffle at the door which was also being filmed by a bystander.

18. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

A few years ago I tried to apply for JSA during the summer when I was working on supply. Because of the lack of work the previous year I couldn’t claim contributions based; apparently my wife’s income (minimum wage) was sufficient for me not to be able to claim income based. You can try, but I doubt you’ll get anywhere.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I was involved in a very very large commercial outdoor grow. Needless to say, getting rid of it was a problem and my gay chum decided to use his gay-scene crystal meth lady as my route for disposal. She had a problem getting meth into the UK from the chinese manufacture, due to clampdowns in UK customs. Basically all meth comes into the UK via her. Anyway, I used to be a chemist and my pal mentioned this, cue me getting an offer of getting involved in some 40 years in prison stuff. The last I heard from her, she had £13 million pounds worth of crystal meth which was impure and she wanted me to purify it. I declined. I instead wrote her a shopping list and a method and whatsapped it to her.

This will get a chapter in my autobiography.

I will not do it again, purely because dealing with scrotes is disappointing, but growing "tomatoes" is a very profitable exercise. You can grow a good 2kg of merchandise on one outdoor plant if you're careful, whilst still coming under the radar of what is considered personal use (8 plants) and what is considered horticulture.

It is terrible and I am going to hell, however, needs must.

Good luck in your quest.

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Our very own Breaking Bad!