1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about the delay to the new GCSE science specs?

Discussion in 'Science' started by msuxg, Feb 23, 2016.

1. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

2. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Well that's ok then

Seriously, we need these spec sorted, otherwise how can we plan for effective progress through the key stage?

I take on board that I teach science (physics) but without knowing the context of the assessment the kids have to complete, I am not preparing them. And the work they are doing now is going to be examined but i probably will not have time to teach it again later.

msuxg likes this.
  3. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

I think the more pertinent issue really is the fact that these were promised to arrive in good time (remember that old chestnut about reducing workload and not introducing slap-dash changes). I don't think anyone would say being refused three times and now approaching Easter before teaching in September is in good time. Just an increase of our workload - the same amount of planning and preparation required but less time to do said planning in!!!

It really makes me a bit incensed!

4. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

We started teaching the new spec last June. We have a 3 year KS4 so they start in year 9. We start the academic year in June once the year 11s have left. The science is the same - the arguments are over the finer details. It has been refreshing to start everything fresh. We are doing AQA and draft specs and SOW have been available since the summer. There is also draft specimen exams. I don't perceive much changing. The basic science is the same. We will worry about the finer points or details in Yr10 and Yr11. There is plenty of time before the assessment to sort any changes.
    The only issue is with parents asking about revision books and text books as these are not available yet.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I actually agree with the blog post. Concentrate on teaching good Science (I guarantee you that the drafts are correct with regards to content) and worry about the assessment later.

Even when the specs are published, our biggest concern still won't be addressed...what exactly is a grade 5 (or 4, or 6, or whatever)? We will have no way of knowing this until the Summer of 2018 when the first results are in, so why worry. Prepare your students to know and understand the Science, and you won't go too far wrong.

Mark

6. michelleocrscience

michelleocrscience New commenter

All boards will have resubmitted everything by the end of next week. We are hopeful that Ofqual turnaround will be quicker this round. Specs won't change massively, it will be in assessment material that you will see the big changes as all the boards assessment material has to reach a certain level of demand and be comparable.

Our latest versions of our SAMs are put up as soon as we resubmit, so the latest Bio A and B, Chem B and Phys B should be up on the website. The combined science papers and the Chem and Phys A latest submission will be up early next week as they are being resubmitted today.

Michelle (ocr)

7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

What a joke. It really is not good enough. You can't defend the situation we are in.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. michelleocrscience

michelleocrscience New commenter

You'll be pleased to know that OCR GCSE Biology B was accredited last night.