1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about taking another day off work

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Georgia99, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi, I have only been working at my current school for four months. I had to take a day off in January as I caught a sickness bug. Now I have another one! It was my day off today so I didn't have to call in sick but I am due in tomorrow and am not sure I'll be well enough to go in.
    I feel sick, and I have headache and stomach pains and feel generally weak and dizzy. I haven't been able to stand up out of bed but don't feel as bad when lying down.
    Hopefully it'll clear by tomorrow but if not I am going to have to phone in again and I know my hod will not be impressed as he always goes on about how he hasn't had a sick day in 25 years service.
    I have been blessed not to catch a single cold since starting and normally don't suffer with stomach bugs but this is the second in 2 months. The school are going to think I am a right wet blanket.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You are clearly too ill to go to work. Illnesses don't space themselves out conveniently and employers need to respect that.
    Buy your HoD a medal and ignore him!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your HoD probably has worked at the school a long time and built up resistance. Often noticed that working in new schools caused them to seemingly catch every bug going.
    Just concentrate on getting yourself fit and well.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

1 day counts as one absence.
    6 months counts as one absence.
    You may as well stay off and get better!

5. New school, New germs, ill all the time! You will not get better working through it. A friend of mine was "never" ill. Got shingles followed by pneumonia within a month. You will build up immunity and most managers know that this can be a problem. By the time you have been teaching 20 years the black death will have no effect.

6. Hopefully it'll clear by tomorrow but if not I am going to have to phone in again and I know my hod will not be impressed as he always goes on about how he hasn't had a sick day in 25 years service.
    Sweetly tell him that you know that there's always a first time and you know that he would like to keep his record intact, so for safeguardng reasons, you're phoning in sick.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG]