1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about returning

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Sep 19, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Hello. I have joined a new school. Staff are nice. Children are great. Taken paternity leave - which is unpaid and returning next week. Sounds like the senior leader needed extra help when teaching my class. I left everything for him with the teaching including slides and worksheets. Worried that there's a back lash when I return of there were issues with something in class. Advice welcomed. Thanks.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You will achieve zero by worrying about what happened.

Think about it when you cross that bridge. They may say nothing at all about it. You cant be everywhere and everything does not depend on you.

If there is backlash, ask what it was and learn from the experience.

Enjoy the rest of your leave.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

And bear in mind that the problems may be nothing at all to do with the planning and resources that you left behind?
    (And congratulations on the new baby!)

4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

It hasn't happened yet! You are worrying about a non existent problem.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Exactly!

agathamorse, Marshall and pepper5 like this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Congratulations!:)
    Now, @thekillers1, let's have a little perspective here. You were off for a few days. You left work and all the necessary. You think that the Senior teacher might have had some trouble. That tells you more about him that anything else.
    In a couple of years do you think you'll want to look back at this time in your lives and remember that someone else was slightly less good at handling your new class than you were? I very much hope not.
    Focus on the new baby and your wife/partner.
    I can't imagine what fall out there might be even if the senior teacher had trouble - unless the work was apallingly inadequate in some way. And I can't believe it was.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

When I was deputy without a class of my own I used to hate doing cover. I could never build the rapport with someone else's class. But when I went back to having my own class I was fine. So, perhaps its your cover teacher who has a problem, not you. In fact, I think that's very probably true.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You behaved perfectly correctly by preparing resources for your missed lessons. The fact that the senior leader still had problems with your class says more about them than you. What more could you have done? You can't be held responsible for others' failings.

9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You prepared resources for the lessons you would be absent for. The other member of staff was responsible for looking at those resources before the lessons and seeing if they wanted to use them or come up with something else. Whatever happened next is not your responsibility.

Congratulations on your new baby. Enjoy this time with them. Your paternity leave will fly by so focus on the important things in life - getting to know your new baby is important; supporting your partner in recovering from the birth is important; looking after yourself and trying to get some sleep is important; someone else possibly having a problem in a lesson that you weren't responsible for is not important and is definitely not something you need to be thinking about right now. Try to forget about school while you're taking time out for your family.

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It could be argued that if the paternity leave is unpaid, you should not have been expected to do the planning for those lessons. I think most people would expect to leave some planning, but if they complain that it wasn't sufficiently detailed, you might point out that you weren't actually paid anything for that fortnight. And if it wasn't appropriate for the children, well, you presumably only had a week or so to get to know them beforehand; the person covering should have known them better than you by the end of it, and should have been adapting the plans - as you would have been doing had you been there.

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  13. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Actually it was one week.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Congratulations on becoming a father by the way!

agathamorse, thekillers1 and pepper5 like this.
  15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!

You're worrying too much - and you don't even know there's a problem! I'm sure the SL had a few problems - I'm sure the main one was that they didn't really want to be teaching your class. You left everything ready, even the slides. I can't imagine there will be any sort of backlash - cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

Enjoy your weekend!

thekillers1, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

[QUOTE="thekillers1, post: 12922202, member: 643821"Staff are nice. [/QUOTE] So highly unlikely there will be a backlash.

thekillers1 likes this.