1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about reference

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by beth2445, Jul 16, 2011.

1. My NQT year is coming to an end, but it was a temporary contract which is not being renewed.

I have been applying for jobs for months & have had 3 interviews so far, but not been successful.

My relationship with my current HT is strained to say the least. He is a v difficult man to work with & has taken a personal dislike to me - which doesn't worry me too much as I'll be leaving soon & will never have to see him again!

However, I have started to wonder if the reason I've struggled to get another job is due to reference he's given me. Am I allowed to see what he's written?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I think you can ask the person who receives the reference, but not the person who wrote it. Have you asked for feedback on your applications and interviews?

3. I'm in a similar position. I'd always ask for feedback from interviews. However getting feedback from applications (where you've not been interviewed) might be a trickier. If they've received 50 plus applications the feedback might not be too specific. (Just my opinion though).
    My plan is to go back on supply and use my supply schools as references. (I've always had positive feedback from supply). Even if it's just a day or two it's better than a dodgy one. And don't worry too much about the 16 month rule, most local authorities grant 12 month extensions.

4. If you have been employed by your school for a whole year and your contract is not being renewed but they are employing somebody else it is not allowed.

If i was you and it is possible, I would speak to your union. Jobs are so few andhard to come by.

5. What has been stated is correct, if you have been employed for a year and the school simply decided to hire someone else to do your post, then technically you are being dismissed from your post and you have the right to know the reason for your dismissal as this could affect your future employment. You should contact your union and seek an agreed reference to help with future applicaqtions. I can see that ypu probably do wish to leave rather than stay, so it would be in the head's interest to provide a sup[portive reference otherwise you could challenge the decision to not renew your contract and that could cause problems.
    James

6. Thanks guys,

No, I'm not being dismissed, I was taken on for a year & am not being replaced. The class I have taught will be absorbed into other classes, as the school doesn't have the budget this year to fund another teacher.

So I'm not worried about the fact that my contract has not been renewed, I knew that would probably be the case.

What I'm worried about is the sort of reference the HT is giving me. I was just wondering if they're allowed to give bad references & if I'm allowed to see it.

thanks for the advice about doing supply & then asking the supply for a reference - I've never done supply before but I'll give it a go!

Beth

7. Ok, so the school is not trying to pull a fast one, that's good. As for your reference, yes if you apply to an agency you can ask to see the reference supplied from the school.
    James

8. Another thing to consider is that agency references are sometimes tick box so might not be that bad. Another idea would be to ask for a second reference where things went well. Perhaps a student placement or from some volunteer work. Good luck.