1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about racing pulse rate

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nikkib_1986, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi all,
    For the past week or so I've been feeling generally under the weather. However, for the last few days my pulse has been racing and once or twice my heart feels like it is going to pop out of my chest!
    Have tried phoning the docs but there are never any free appointments.
    I have been a bit stressed at home for the last few weeks but I'm really worried about this.
    Can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks

2. Stress will affect your heart rate and give you palpitations. But so will hundreds of other things, some more serious than others. Are you taking any meds? Got any other symptoms? Been losing weight?
    As a self-help measure it never hurts to cut out caffeine (definitely do that anyway and be prepared for headaches) and alcohol. Any further advice would be unwise until you find out what's causing it.
    See your GP as soon as you can.

3. nikkib_1986

Hi thanks for the reply.
    I don't drink tea or coffee and hardly ever have cola or anything like that so don't think it's caffeine related. I also rarely drink alcohol.
    I've been getting a few headaches above my left eye so I've booked in for an eye test just incase. I've also been getting pins and needles a lot in my legs and feet.
    I'll keep trying to see my GP but the system they have for getting appointments is crazy (you have to phone from 8am on the day but generally by the time you get through at 8:10 ish all the appointments for the day are gone and you can't pre-book for the next day, you just have to go through the same crazy progress again!)

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

What a truly inspirational new avatar, Lily!

5. I thought I might be getting type-cast.
    OP, if this continues, you could try being a bit more arsy with them. "I've tried xxxx days to get through and the phone's permanently engaged. I can't wait any longer, I'm getting worse. It;s my heart." Or turn up at the surgery in person at five to eight.
    I'm staggered at what passes for an appointments system in some places.

6. nikkib_1986

Thanks for your reply again. I did just that and have managed to get an appointment for this afternoon so fingers crossed something will get sorted.

7. Good luck!

8. Same old avatar on my PC!

9. nikkib_1986

Well just got back from the docs and I have hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). This can cause the palpitations and axiety and can make you feel irritable. I'm glad I went and feel better just knowing what it is.
    Thanks for the replies!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So what do you have to do about it? Eat lots of chocs?

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would think brown carbs and slow-release sugars would be more appropriate!