1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about progression.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by essentiallyprincess, Apr 10, 2011.

1. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

I am a final year student on placement with Year 2. I love my class and I love my school. There is team planning that goes on and I don't really understand much of the thinking behind it. I understand that a lot is SAT preparation. However, I am really struggling most weeks seeing the progression that the children are supposed to make. For example I taught an instruction unit last week. It comprised of 2 days at an hour a day. Surely this should have lasted all week if not for 2 weeks. I try and ask but I am fearful of seeming too critical. I understand that I am working with experienced teachers who know what they are doing I just wish I knew what they were doing and why. Any thoughts?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

By this stage a fair bit will be recapping to ensure children remember what they have been taught. They might well have spent a fortnight on instructions in the autumn term and then just a couple of days now.

Ask in ways that say things like "Wow, can they really learn all that in 2 days? Can't wait to use those plans." Rather than "Only two days? Surely they need at least a week, if not two?"

You absolutely should not be critical and should be able to ask in a way that says "I'm just a student and haven't a clue what you lot are up to. Please help me out."

3. essentiallyprincess

Great thanks for the advice I will try and approach it more that way. I trust what they are doing but since doing 80% of the teaching just wish I knew more of the whys. Part of my incessant curiosity as well no doubt!

4. I would let the teachers worry about the progression.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOL there is that as well!

6. essentiallyprincess

Oh if it was only that simple! I am a natural worrier. I worry the children will not make the progression they need to if I don't understand what that progression is. I don't want to adversely affect the SAT results. Like I say I am doing 80% teaching (in reality more than that). I need to show progression for the Uni requirements. I want to be a good teacher since hopefully this time in 5 months I will have my own class.

7. Stop worrying! The school would not allow you to adversely affect the SATs results I am sure.

8. Don't worry about the KS1 test results they are a teeny tiny part of teacher assessment. You won't adversely affect them.
    The teachers know what they are doing. They are planning according to their children and if their children only need a few days on Instructions then that is all they need.

9. essentiallyprincess

LOL Thanks. You are right! I need to get a grip. Maybe I should have Stop Worrying!! written above my bed - or perhaps over the computer where it would be seen more.

10. 2 weeks on instruction? I'd be bored out of my skull by then! 2 days sounds quite sensible - you can always cover it again where you can assess how much sunk in last time you did it. Go back to the National Curriculum for what the children ought to be learning.