1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about phased return

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by memomum, Feb 16, 2015.

1. memomum

memomum New commenter

Hi all,

Just wanted some other views regarding my situation. I have been off with work related stress for 7months and am due to return to a phased return in two weeks. The phased return is as follows:

All afternoons for first week, starting at 12 pm.
    First afternoon=handover of systems and paperwork/observing children and classroom systems
    All other afternoons in by 12pm, ready to teach in the afternoon.

After that first week, a gradual build up wherein I am expected to be working full time towards the summer half term.
    Sorry, I can't give too much detail here as it would make me identifiable to my colleagues/employers!

Please let me know your thoughts asap!

Thank you!!

2. Have you got meetings arranged at pre arranged points to discuss how your phased return is going? Would be advisable as for your point of view you may find you are ready far quicker OR the opposite.

I am embarking on a phased return after half term. Done a 'pop in' and let's just say for various reasons it will be most likely be alot different than what I envisaged. My absence was not for stress but illness.

Mine is not rigid or set in stone due to the nature of my absence and the nature of my return. Health has to come first.

3. memomum

memomum New commenter

Hi, yes I will meet with line manager on a weekly basis to see how things are going.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi memo mum. I am surprised your phased return is as long as it is, in my LA it can only be 6 weeks except in very exceptional circumstances, which of course yours may be. Do you have occupational health involved. When I gad phased return last year I had to see them before and then part way through to ensure that my reasonable adjustments were getting organised or in place.

Did you agree your return with anyone. I think afternoons would be a nightmare for me I started with mornings building up to both longer and more days.

Good luck with it, I found it much more tiring than I expected to but am glad I did.

5. memomum

memomum New commenter

Hi Grumbleweed,

Sorry for late reply have been offline for a while so didn't see your reply. I probably wasn't clear but my phased return is approx 5 weeks. Had OH involved and they made recommendations. Based on this my head teacher wrote to me with details of my phased return. The way in which the letter was written made it seem as though, there was no forum in which I could voice my own opinions and/or concerns - just outlined how it was going to work, from the school's perspective. I rang my union rep who told me that that was 'what the union would have fought for anyway!'

Prior to this the rep had told me that we would all have to meet to agree the details of my phased return!!

I am very confused as I thought the union was meant to help you. As it stands have had lots of support regarding this from my doctor.