1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worried about past life hindering chances of career

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MissHufflepuff, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hello Everyone I'm new to the forum.
    I am have just finished my degree, and next year hopefully will be looking at starting a PGCE.
    I am just a bit worried about my career in the past though. I am 30 now with 2 children, but when i was in my early 20's i did a bit of glamour modeling, nothing extreem, just normal glamour in the paper etc. (please can i ask, do not judge me, i am not ashamed of this, and it was a long time ago, so please no nasty comments, i am here for advice) Anyway, roll on 10 years, I've had various jobs in offices and shops etc, not related to this. My problem however is that if you google my name, images of me come straight up. There is no way of getting these images of the sites that they are on because they are too vast and all over the world. Will this hinder my chances of getting a job in teaching? I was thinking of changing my surname. Does anyone have any advice on this, or experience? Thank you

2. Hello there,
    I don't think it will hinder your chances of getting a place on a PGCE or affect your career. We all make mistakes don't we? I don't even think they will find out.
    However......
    Are you going for primary or secondary?
    If secondary, you may need to watch your step. Teenagers can be cruel and have much more access to the internet than younger children. If they come across these pictures they'll have it in for you and if you're a fairly weak person they'll bring you right down. Maybe consider a name change if that's the case.
    Hope this helps :)

3. Brilliant.... Thanks for your reply. It's primary I'm heading for, so fingers crossed I'll be fine. I do think I will consider a name change though just to be on the safe side.

4. I would love to say that it wouldn't affect your chances. I cant imagine that it will affect your chances of getting onto a ITT course. However It may cause problems later on. I doubt a university or ITT provider would bother to google your name.

But the internet is a very accessible thing now for all ages and obviously parents. I often get bored and google my name or people I know to see what comes up. It may create quite a stir if a pupil does find these pictures. And a parent probably wouldnt be too impressed. And as a teacher being in a professional position of trust, It would truly suck if a great career was destroyed from somebody google-ing your name...Can you imagine an awkward IT lesson where a child shouts look what I found Miss when I looked at your name!

I agree you say you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and I find the comment about (we all make mistakes insulting by the other post-er, you obviously made the choice and are not ashamed of it). But the reality is some people might not take the same opinion. If I was in your position I would consider a name change. At least for Professional purposes. But the decision is yours! I wouldnt let it get in your way!!

5. Thankyou for your response danny, you make a very valid point, it would be awful futher down the line if someone was to stumble across these pictures. Definatly going to change my name, which shouldn't be too hard anyway as at 15 my mum changed my name so it was same as her re-married name (long story, but basically will change it back to my original birth name).
    Yes i agree with you, what the other poster said about "we all make mistakes" could be taken in the wrong way, as it definatly wasn't a mistake at the time, but I don't think they meant it nasitly... I think they were just trying to generalise their point - as in "its in your past, people make mistakes", and I have taken no offence.
    I am really greatful for both your replys, both very helpful.

6. Fair point about the mistake comment...but in terms of everything else it would be awful if a whole life could be destroyed when it needn't be..Good Luck with everything :D

7. Hi :) I would agree with the name change....and I wouldn't presume that only secondary children may find it through a random search on the internet....younger children are just as capable! Good luck with everything!