1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worried about observtion

Discussion in 'Music' started by englishteach101, Dec 4, 2011.

1. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Don't know if this will help you for this time, but something I'm doing in my department is using a flip-cam to record performances/compositions etc. then using the camera to record the self/peer/teacher assessment. Music is a practical subject and should be assessed as such, but this was a tip I'd got from our Drama dept which have used this technique to assess for years. You just have to make sure that you regularly backup and update the files onto your computer so they don't accidentally get wiped.

Also, can you create a pro-forma for self/peer assessment that students can keep as a practical work log (incorporating something along the lines of strengths/improvements/level/general comments)- this would need to be based around the units of work you are completing with them and using the appropriate grading criteria.
    I'm afraid I don't know if you're for it this time, it depends on how your management view the assessment in practical subjects. At my school, we're having to back everything up in writing of some description to cover ourselves and to be able to prove progress. You might have to consider what ofsted/SLT would say if they walked in, would you be able to provide them with any evidence of what the students have been doing?
    Sorry I can't be of more help!
    S

2. i the t

i the t New commenter

Thanks people !

Feel more prepared now. I've made a weekly self-assessment pro-forma. Also, going to get the students to save each weeks work as a new Logic file with date which will evidence progression from week to week and will also 'mark' the work by leaving a note on each weeks program file itself.
    Even if I can't evidence marking so far I can show that strategies are now in place.
    Roll on xmas, after this it's just the panto to worry about !