1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about next year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lifeofphoebe, Apr 9, 2019.

1. lifeofphoebe

lifeofphoebe New commenter

I've only got 8 weeks left on my scheme and then I'll be an NQT. Ive been receiving 'good' in most of my reports and observations but I can't help feeling like the worst teacher EVER. All I ever seem to do is do stuff wrong and get so told off for it. They don't seem like little things...every time I make a mistake people make me feel useless and they seem so annoyed and angry about it. I get so anxious about coming into work that I don't even know if I want to do this anymore. I LOVE the job but the people that mentor me make me feel so bad about my own teaching that I'm worried about having my own class and doing a bad job. Anyone else feel like this at this point in the year? Im worried I'm the only one.

hannals93 likes this.
  2. Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka New commenter

Not in exactly the same situation, but I am in my final school experience so I will be finishing my PGCE soon-ish and yes, it is scary. I often find myself worrying if I will actually be any good as an actual teacher, as though I've been well supported the course has been extremely, extremely challenging at times. Are all the people around you berating you, or are there some who do try to actually help and encourage you? If there are some, see if you can be around them more.

I'm not sure what else to say to help you, but you've made it this far so I am sure you can do it! I'll be rooting for you! Good luck.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Are you completing your NQT year at the same school? If so, expect more of the same I'm afraid. Could you ask your mentor to give you feedback as a 'sandwich', i.e. something nice to compensate for the not-so-nice?

What kind of things are you doing 'wrong'?

Not to scare you, but it took me about 3 years to feel like a semi-competent teacher. I think it's normal though, and not a problem, as long as you're in a supportive school, which I know is not always easy to find.

4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I hope you take this with the kindness It's intended, but you probably need to toughen up a bit.

You're new to the profession, any trainee & NQT will still be getting told there's ways to improve or things to do differently because it's so early in their career.

If there was a substantial concern about your teaching then you wouldn't be getting the gradings you are getting, which is why it might be worth reflecting on what you mean by 'berating'.

Obviously, if the school are being unpleasant then that's an issue, but I've met a fair few trainees who seem to think by the end of their training year they'll have it nailed and they'll be a fully fledged teacher (sometimes that is due to arrogance and others because their expectations of what the end of their training looks like and the reality is mismatched).

Maybe we can give more advice if you let us know the sorts of things that are being suggested.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I had a similar experience when I did my pgce. My university tutor even told me to choose a different career, the day after I had secured my first teaching post.

Some mentors are on a massive power trip. They will tell you you're **** because it gives them a buzz. You just have to smile, nod and play the game. Listen to their feedback, act on it. You just need to do whatever you have to do to pass the pgce.

When faced with negativity, throw back determination and confidence. Remember, difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

You can and will pass this course.

blueskydreaming likes this.