1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about my daughter

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by marymoocow, Oct 15, 2012.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My mum had a delayed reaction over a year after her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. She spent so much time being positive and supportive that she blocked her own feelings. She then started suffering with stress and anxiety out of the blue, wouldnt leave the house, had doom feelings about everything such as our plane crashing on holiday, not visiting tourist attractions because it was raining and it might flood, interpreting everyones slight symptom as possible cancer etc.
    See your doctor now thats an order!

2. Dear bob
    First of all - what a lovely dad you are. Your daughter is so lucky to have you. She sounds like a very successful young lady with lots of things to look forward to, but it's perfectly understandable that every upset that she suffers is like a dagger to your heart.
    I've kind of been down a similar road, as I think you know. My husband was quite young (26) and we'd been married not much more than a year when he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. During the period of diagnosis and treatment, we were both resolutely positive and cheerful, but I think the gravity of the whole situation didn't hit us until a while later.
    I had what can only be described as a minor breakdown about 3 years after he finished treatment. I suspect that there were other things which contributed to this, but I remember constantly feeling that everything in my life was on a knife edge and that the rug would be pulled from under me at any second. Very tearful and anxious all the time.
    I stupidly did not seek help, which I regret, as I unnecessarily wasted an awful lot of time feeling like this. Don't make the same mistake!
    I think it's definitely worth talking to your GP about how you feel and seeing what he/she suggests. I would also think about contacting one or more of the cancer survivors' support groups to talk things through. Knowing that you are not alone in the way you're feeling is a big help.
    Also, you clearly miss your daughter terribly. When did you last see her? When will be your next chance to get together and spend some time together?
    Hope things pick up for you both soon. You both deserve it.
    Manny
    xx

3. Thank you for your fulsome and warm reply . I went to my daughter's yesterday to return the gerbils we had been llooking after while she and her boyfriend were on holiday. She looked tired and a little p issed off about the floaters in her eye, but I have them too,and know you can live with them and forget about them most of the time. I got upset last Wednesday when she told me, and haven't been able to return to my normal self since.
    I think people are right about this being a delayed symptom of PTS, and I feel for you and your husband. I wish you all the best xxxxxxx

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aw, Bob....just sending you hugs.
    I still worry about my children, especially my daughter who is going through a break-up. She's 28 but seems to have been crying for months and has lost loads of weight.
    We feel their pain, don't we? Just as our parents never stopped worrying about us.

5. Thank you xxxx

6. How are you today, bob?
    x

7. So nice of you to ask so early, my dear. Not bad, better, thanks. I rang my daughter last night and she sounded genuinely ok. So if she's ok, I am too. Thanks xxxxx

8. That's good to hear. [​IMG]
    Might be an idea to plan something nice to look forward to with her - a grand day out, a lovely meal, or even a weekend break. Something that you'll both enjoy.
    Keep chin up!
    x

9. thanks. She's busy with work, so it's not easy. We'll see xxx