1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about Milliecat..found a small lump on her neck

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Yesterday I noticed a small lump on the back of Millie's (the cat) neck/shoulderblade and am a bit worried after doing some reading on the internet (I know that's the worst thing to do!).
    It doesnt hurt her and is small - but a little too big to be her microchip I think. It seems quite loose/moveable, but I cant get my fingers underneath it so its obviously attached to something. Im really worried its a cancerous sarcoma as they're notoriously hard to remove/cure in cats.
    Im going to ring the vets tomorrow and try and get her in before xmas - hopefully that'll put my mind at rest, and it may just be a cyst.
    I just wanted to share my worry as I know there's lots of cat lovers on here, and some of you may have experienced something similar?
    OH just thinks im worrying about nothing.

2. Yesterday I noticed a small lump on the back of Millie's (the cat) neck/shoulderblade and am a bit worried after doing some reading on the internet (I know that's the worst thing to do!).
    It doesnt hurt her and is small - but a little too big to be her microchip I think. It seems quite loose/moveable, but I cant get my fingers underneath it so its obviously attached to something. Im really worried its a cancerous sarcoma as they're notoriously hard to remove/cure in cats.
    Im going to ring the vets tomorrow and try and get her in before xmas - hopefully that'll put my mind at rest, and it may just be a cyst.
    I just wanted to share my worry as I know there's lots of cat lovers on here, and some of you may have experienced something similar?
    OH just thinks im worrying about nothing.

3. Are you sure it's not her microchip? I can feel my cats quite easily, and it is a lot bigger than I expected it to be. Also, they can sometimes migrate from their original sit, so you may feel it somewhere you don't expect to.

4. Im hoping it is - Ive felt them in my cats before but they normally seem more 'grain of rice' like - this seems a little fattier, and I cant get my fingers 'underneath' it which implies its attached to something. Im just such a worrier when it comes to my cats!

5. Oh, poor milliecat.
    IT may be something, but it may also be nothing. You know google is your enemy when it comes to things like this and you also know that the best thing to do is to get her checked out by the vet.
    No experience of lumps on pussycats, but having just lost my meow last week (I say my meow - he lived with my mum and stepdad for the last 11 years!), I couldn't just read and run.
    Our little furry friends sure take over our lives and emotions.
    strokes for Millie and (((impulce)))

6. Thanks sel_chick.
    My concern is that I have read a lot on the the internet about vaccine related sarcomas that are cancerous and notoriously hard to cure, and can come up after vaccinations which Milliecat had a month ago - a lot say that they become a worry when they are still there after 3 months though, so hopefully it is something else that will disappear.
    Still, vets tomorrow.

7. Is it in the area where she was vaccinated?
    I have obviously just been reading the same as you, but the one thing it does say is that many cats can have a reaction, but they won't all turn out to be fibrosarcoma.
    You are best to have her checked out, though. Let us know what happens. I will be thinking about you x

8. Its around her shoulder blade but still fairly central. I cant remember where exactly they vaccinate, if its directly into the scruff then it is lower down than this.

9. I suppose a vaccination can be given anywhere in that general area.
    Try not to worry. It may be nothing.

10. I don't really have any advice but I know how worrying it must be for you. I remember one of our cats being very ill with laryngitis a few years ago and that was awful despite not being a lump so you must be going through even worse. I hope it's nothing sinister. How old is she?

11. We've just been to the vets and the vet says she thinks its her microchip, but when moving the device over her it was hard to pinpoint where it was as it beeped once on her neck but also beeped over her back! Im hoping its the chip - she's only been chipped 3 years (shes about 4, we rescued her as a stray though) surely it wouldn't migrate that far down her back so quickly?

Anyway the vet recomended checking the size again in 2 weeks and bringing her back if it gets larger, so at least I know by waiting and watching I am doing the right thing.
    She said it was too small to take a needle biopsy at this point, and if we are still concerned in a few weeks they could do an xray to check if it is her chip.
    Thankyou for the replies[​IMG]

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

That's reassuring anyway Impulce - at least the vet doesn't seem unduly concerned.

13. They can migrate to weird places, but I think it is unusual.
    Try not to worry too much. I think if the vet was really concerned she would have at least have done some bloods etc, for now.
    Try to content yourself for now, and see what happens.

14. Chips can move quite quickly - my dog's chip migrated from between his shoulder blades to low down on his shoulder in less than 2 years.

Don't worry too much, easy to say I know, as we can't help but worry so much about them.

15. Im hoping that it HASNT migrated too much as that would mean it is the little lump ive found near her shoulder blade, and not half way down her back where the scanner also beeped!
    Im going to force myself not to worry about it for the next couple of weeks until I need to check the size again properly.
    Thanks for the replies :)