1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about medical form

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ally2900, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ally2900

ally2900 New commenter

Hello

Ever since I had my daughter 8 years ago, I have had issues with my thyroid. Up until very recently, I went to see my doctor, who ordered a new set of bloods. The results came back that I have an underactive thyroid (again) I also believe that I suffer from Fibromyalgia/CFS as the pain in my body is sometimes so intense, all I can do is sleep and try to rest.

I am trying to get my health in order before I start the PGCE in September but I am worried about the medical form and my fitness to teach. Some days I can feel really well. I have cut out gluten and dairy from my diet and I am taking Hemp Oil for the pain.

The condition can also cause a lot of anxiety, but this is mainly health anxiety, rather than general anxiety.

Should I tell the truth about my recent health issues on the form? I don't want to lie but worried they will not let me onto the course if I tell the truth. I also don't want them contacting the doctor about my medical issues either.

Appreciate thoughts on this one. x

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I think you have to tell them and then they will understand and be able to help you.

Major question - are you fit enough to do the role (teaching)? It is absolutely exhausting and all encompassing.

3. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I'm in a similar position. I've an unconditional offer for secondary science PGCE in September, just completed the occupational health forms and have an appointment in a couple of weeks.

You need to be honest with them, and you almost certainly do need to give consent for your GP to be contacted (they may not be, but if you disclose an illness that may affect fulfilling the role they're likely to).

If you're not honest the occupational health department can't advise appropriately, in terms of your fitness for the role and any additional support or adjustments that you may need during training.

Good luck!

4. sakurabamboo

sakurabamboo New commenter

Are you on any pills? If you have an under-active thyroid, usually you get better after taking the pills and your TSH will be normal. Then your symptoms may well go away.

5. rolls

rolls New commenter

Very few people are turned down for teaching courses on medical grounds. However, a medical is essential as there are one or two conditions - TB for instance, which would mean you could not work with children. Please do declare any medical conditions, you may sometimes get good advice on how to manage them.