1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about being ill...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by squiddy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. This is my second year at this job, teaching English and Drama. Last year I had a car accident and was off work for a week (i came back to work after a week, as they were desperate!)
    Now we are only 4 weeks in and i've had to have three days off as i have suspected shingles, i feel like the HOD is annoyed with me and i always feel like i'm letting the department down.

Should i be so worried that i cannot sleep at night? Please help?

2. This is my second year at this job, teaching English and Drama. Last year I had a car accident and was off work for a week (i came back to work after a week, as they were desperate!)
    Now we are only 4 weeks in and i've had to have three days off as i have suspected shingles, i feel like the HOD is annoyed with me and i always feel like i'm letting the department down.

Should i be so worried that i cannot sleep at night? Please help?

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

You had one week of last year - but probably should have had longer and now have a potentially quite serious disease which Occupational Health probably wouldn't let you work with. These things happen, you do not have a poor sickness record. Please don't worry too much about it - and certainly not so that you lose sleep.
    Check your school sickness procedure and follow it to the letter.
    Hope you feel better soon

4. One of the HUGE drawbacks with teaching - the GUILT!
    It never goes away.
    It should. You cannot help being ill. You are not taking sickies...it's genuine illness, so your colleagues have to accept it and get you cover.
    However....I too felt guilty whenever I was off, throughout my career!