1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World War II Maths links

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlemy111, Aug 12, 2009.

1. littlemy111

littlemy111 New commenter

I am trying to do my topic plan for my WWII topic and am stumped on ideas for Numeracy. All I have so far is weighing for the wartime cake. Does anyone have any other ideas for a year 4 class (Low ability).
    Thanks in advance

2. littlemy111

littlemy111 New commenter

I am trying to do my topic plan for my WWII topic and am stumped on ideas for Numeracy. All I have so far is weighing for the wartime cake. Does anyone have any other ideas for a year 4 class (Low ability).
    Thanks in advance

3. Hi,
    im doing WW2 in the summer, just a few thoughts, don't know if they will work but..
    what about rations and combinations? ********** has pics of rationed food now under ks2
    Maybe you could build an anderson shelter ch draw on graph paper what size bed u could fit in or how many people and children could fit in a shelter if a shelter was say 15 squares and an adult 4 and a child 2 or a man 4 a woman 3 and a child 2 what combinations could you have?
    time questions ie the bomb siren went off at ... o'clock everyone went into the anderson shelter at .... what time did they come out? the WW2 celebration victory party lasted.... what time had everyone finished eating lol
    I know they did a lot of grow your own- maybe sorting and clasifying fruit and veg? roots stem and fruit venn diagrams?
    Problem solving maybe how long the war lasted how many months or weeks? how many summer months, winter spring etc
    Anyway dont know how useful this would be as ive never taught year 4 (starting in sept) let me know if any of the ideas work then i can use them when i do WW2 in the summer
    jencipko@hotmail.com

4. Comparing money - try to obtain some real coins, otherwise download photographs and create coins of your own so they can do some practical shopping in old money and weights. A lot of work involved in rationing. Growing food is a good idea - a great deal can come from this. Lower ability children will enjoy planning their garden and doing some simple growing, if you have the space. Certainly wartime cooking gives them plenty of opportunity for practical weighing and timing of recipes.

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

You can download information from the RAF museum website. I took my son there are there is lots of information about planes, how much they weighed, how many crew members etc. You could create lots of problem solving out of that.

6. This is a fantastic website! Thank you :) xx