1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World War 2 music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kimlouisedavies, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kimlouisedavies

Kimlouisedavies New commenter

I teach muisc at a primary school. My current Year 6 class have WW2 for their topic and I wanted to link their music to this. They are quite difficult and are not motivated so I am being as creative as possible!
    Does anyone have any resources/ideas/suggestions that might help?

Thank you!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I used to use BBC Music Workshop We'll Meet Again. It's completely out of print now, but perhaps a local school might have copies of the broadcasts and pupil books. I'm afraid I've left the school now that I used these materials in, so can't offer copies. The BBC also did a series Time and Tune called Evacuees - a musical. Again, the broadcasts are no longer available, but everything else is, including a CD with the songs and accompaniments. You could teach the songs yourself and use the play if you wanted to. http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/Music/Ages7-11/Ages7-11.aspx?pearson_type=1
    If you are signed up for Sing Up, there is a great song called Hey Mr Miller - can be sung in unison or 3 parts - my children loved it! There's also Hang out the washing on the Siegfried Line and The Quartermaster's Store (a great one for the children to make up their own verses) at the same site. Teaching Notes and backing tracks are available.
    There are lots of CDs with WW2 music - some great comedy songs to enjoy (e.g. I did what I could with my gas mask - George Formby. Run, rabbit run - Flanagan and Allen) and opportunities for dance whilst listening to Glen Miller In the Mood etc. Research the instrument grouping in a Big Band - perhaps get children to demonstrate these instruments if you have any suitable musicians.
    Vera Lynn, The Andrew's Sisters, Bing Crosby - the list goes on of popular performers!
    There's also the possibility of introducing The Blues and improvisation or Bebop. Jazz musicians like Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonius Monk could be researched and listened to.
    Hope this helps. Good luck - I really enjoyed teaching this period of music.

3. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

4. I asked this question a few years ago. In a hurry just now. Try searching blitz music on here and thread might come up. Gershwin, rhapsody in blue was suggested i think, also great escape music.

5. Out of the Ark: That's What I Call A Class Assembly - World War 2
    Openers and Finales by Sarah Watts pub Kevin Mayhew has some good songs in it.

6. Musical Histories (www.musicalhistories.com) has World War 2 songs available for instant download. Catchy and really easy to learn.

7. hi - this is maybe too late but I'm also a music teacher working in primary school and I have just finished a WW2 topic with primary 7 (think that's the same as year 6). One thing they really enjoyed was a song called 'Evacuate Evacuate' which is a history songsheet from a&c black. This led into swing and scat among other things. We did other things, listening - close harmony (Andrews sisters, for example), lots of scat, some walking bass, Big Band and so on. The class covered the popular WW2 songs in class- such as 'We'll meet again' and White Cliffs of Dover. I don't usually use Sounds of Music but there is a version of White Cliffs of Dover in C major which can be played using single octave chime bar sets - or an accompaniment to the melody perhaps- and the version on CD is in a more singable key for kids than Vera Lynn , at least in my opinion. ! Dam Busters music is good - I didn't realise that 'chocs away' came from a phrase used by WW2 pilots, I thought it had been made up!

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They're chocks, though, not chocs - I don't think even the hardest-centred brazil nut would stop a Spitfire rolling away.

[​IMG]

9. thanks for the correction!! Visions of melted chocolate on the runway, oh dear!