1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Teachers’ Day: should more be done to celebrate the teaching profession?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 8, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Respect for teachers has slowly eroded over the years so, as one teacher explains, more needs to be done to recognise the vital work teachers do all year round and not just on one day:

'We have a crisis at the heart of which is a fundamental sense that many, many teachers don’t feel valued. The statistics I collected for my book, How to Survive in Teaching, leave little room for debate. At national level, just 2 per cent of teachers "agreed" or "strongly agreed" with the statement "I feel supported by government/policymakers", and the result was the same in response to the statement "I feel supported by the media".

…surely politicians should be taking regular opportunities to celebrate excellent practice in schools? Or even take the time to engage with actual teachers before they make decisions?

There’s a phrase from a now ex-teacher which continues to haunt me. "I would have stayed if I hadn’t been treated as if I were inherently in need of teaching." At institutional level, the "could do better" mantra can’t but wear teachers down. Not good enough? Still not good enough? It’s easy to see why some teachers choose to walk away.’

Emma Kell is a secondary teacher in north-east London and author of How to Survive in Teaching

What are your views about this issue? Would a long-running, high profile campaign celebrating the profession, beyond World Teachers’ Day, really change people’s views about teachers? Why do you think respect for teachers has changed in this country while in other countries the profession is still lauded and revered?

https://www.tes.com/news/we-need-more-world-teachers-day-schmaltz

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

A few more "Get into Teaching" ads on the telly would be good for focussing attention on what a brilliant "profession" Teaching has now become.
    What about a gold cup for the highest salaried MAT Leader?

-Maximilian-, stonerose and blazer like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I don't think many people noticed World Teachers' Day over here. I didn't until I read a post by someone late in the evening, and I spent the day in a place where my boss would have taken the opportunity to encourage our kids to be grateful.
    Way back the NUT ran a campaign with the strapline "If you can read this, thank a teacher". It didn't have much impact at the time.
    The bottom line is that a fair proportion of adults in this country do not look back fondly on their education in schools. The 5 A-C GCSE threshold really only got above 50% about a decade ago, so a majority of the population left school without very much. A lot of parents are supportive of teachers until you try to modify their child's behaviour.
    A lot of people look up to people who earn lots - the only possible exception is MAT chain leaders, but they try to stay invisible anyway. Recent pronouncements by Mr Heinz suggest that increasing our wealth would be best done in a different profession.

-Maximilian-, tonymars and stonerose like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Brilliant advice from Mr Heinz:
    Teachers - increasing your wealth would be best done in a different profession.
    Perhaps this should appear as a Government Warning on the many Get into Teaching adverts that we see on the telly - a bit like the cancer warnings on a packet of fags or Gambling Aware - "when the fun stops, stop".
    Well, the fun has certainly stopped in Primary teaching!

stonerose likes this.
  5. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

We ought to celebrate the diminishing number that remain. Isn't that what you do with an endangered species?