1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Teachers’ Day – share your happy moments

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The annual celebration of teachers takes place on Friday 5th October so to commemorate the important job you have of improving the lives of children, I thought it would be interesting to share your positive experiences about teaching.

What is your favourite anecdote, the most helpful advice you received or who was your favourite teacher and why? Did they inspire you to become a teacher?

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Ive enjoyed a lot in teaching almost exclusively in the classroom. I’ve hated the unnecessary admin and ofsted driven culture in recent years along with the decline in professionalism of the classroom teacher and the blame culture that now permeates all schools. It’s hard to stay positive in all this atmosphere.

woollani likes this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Funnily enough, while I was having lunch with a chum, we talked about classroom incidents which made us laugh. Mine was with a particular class who were not the sharpest chisels in the workbox, but they were delightful. One lad was a bit of a character and he decided to play a trick on me. He pulled the neck of his shirt over his head, rearranged his tie and watched me through one of the spaces between the buttons. It was a few minutes before I noticed, and I screamed as it looked as though his head was missing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

:oops:

In the minutes between 'hiding' and my spotting it, he didn't move a muscle or call out. His patience was amazing!!

I did feel a bit daft!! :oops:

LunaBlue123 likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent and I shall begin celebrating early in Dublin Airport. Hic!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Miss Robinson was my favourite teacher. She taught English (of course) and she instilled more of a love of literature than I already had, as well as a love of debate. She was measured and calm and kind and I loved her lessons.

I’ve spoken before on here about Roger, a little lad who was in my first ever class. He loved school and turned up when it was daylight. He didn’t know what time it was, but knew he should go to school when it was daytime. His breakfast, he said, was raisins and tomato sauce. I’ve never forgotten him.

There was Albert too, who I struggled to keep in school because he was at risk of exclusion. He finished primary school and went to secondary. When he left he told me he would never forget me. I’ve never forgotten him either.

LunaBlue123 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My favourite teacher was Mrs Wilson - my reception teacher. Despite having in her class many kids who were far less bright than the sheep and cattle that grazed in the surrounding fields and suffering from crippling arthritis she somehow taught all of us to read and write. She instilled in me a love of learning which has lasted throughout my life. I learned to read very early and quickly read every book in our class room so every morning I would toddle off to the Year 5/6 class and borrow a Ladybird book (of which we had a pretty extensive collection) - I read all those too so I started to bring in books from home to read. She also converted me from writing left handed to right (which I still do).

Great teacher.

Dragonlady30 and LunaBlue123 like this.