1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World on fire.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Oct 29, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Anyone else watching this BBC series? I like it. I hope they make more seasons to get to the end of the war and it's not of those series that are left hanging and stories are unresolved.

Rach05 likes this.
  2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I quite like it, though I have a sense that it's trying to cover too many stories so it's a bit too diffuse. Liked the Dunkirk episode, though. And Sean Bean and Leslie Manville show the rest of the cast how it's done...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Far too many parallel stories and paths crossing in every episode. A big budget production but the cgi doesn't add much to the story. Warsaw and Berlin are the best theads

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It was a strong episode. I think there is only two episodes left,so we might get to 1941. I really hope they've planned more series.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

UnIess you've just arrived from another planet and I've never seen TV before and have no idea about WW 2,it's not that difficult to follow.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Watched some and recorded the rest. Not massively convinced by it though in terms of acting

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I watched last night, mainly because I was familiar with where they'd done the filming, but wasn't aware I'd come in on episode 5. I do believe I will however go back and watch from the beginning, as it seems to cover many different aspects, and not just from 'the victor's' viewpoint.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I never said it was hard to follow.
    I said here are too many parallel stories I think this weakens the narrative and some are not very interesting at all.

lindenlea and mothorchid like this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I really like it. Took me ages to remember where I'd seen Lesley Manville recently, knew I'd seen her somewhere, she was the Mum in Mum.

catmother likes this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I’ve enjoyed it yes

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thought last night's episode was a bit weak and didn't move us on very much but I have been enjoying it. The young officer "hero" is the least interesting character so far and agree that Sean Bean and Leslie Manville are brilliant.

Lara mfl 05 and mothorchid like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Can someone explain to me how the Polish ex-soldier who's the resistance girl's brother has somehow made it all the way from from Danzig to Dunkirk, presumably via a few hundred miles of Nazi Germany and though German lines in Belgium? I'm a bit baffled by that.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That did cross my mind.

lindenlea likes this.
  14. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Really enjoying it. A history lesson. Loved Catherine the Great too for the same reason.

15. mothorchid

He kept low and ran fast?
    I am puzzled by things which are never developed - the little refugee girl who appeared and then disappeared. That Harry seems to collect waifs and strays...
    And surely the pregant Lois would not be allowed to keep her job as a singer once it became clear she was pregant and single?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes, I'm with you with all these anomalies.

LondonCanary and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Harry found a French family to take her and the dog in their car.

Probably not.

18. mothorchid

Yes, I know he found a French family, but it seems an oddly bit of clumsy writing - why have her at all if she's so undeveloped? Rather like the gay Dr and his partner, who are very unexplored as characters, and the journalist who is only there to give historical context. I can live with that, but since she is about to take charge of the little epileptic girl from next door (yet more waifs and strays), I supppose she may have a dramatic purpose too.
    It is clearly hoping to be the new "Poldark". Yeah, right...

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I agree. I wonder if the gay doctor plot strand was included in order to show the "woke" credentials of the series. Likewise the pregnant singer touring Europe,who is portrayed as a confident, intelligent and determined woman while the men she encounters are portrayed as being rather gormless. Although World on Fire has its faults on balance I am enjoying it.

mothorchid likes this.
  20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would assume that if he stays in France,he(and his boyfriend) will be in great danger of being sent to a camp with a pink star on his clothes. Not so much "woke" as historically accurate.