1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Maths Day 2012

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

2. Thanks Casy
    Don't think I will get round to it on 1st Feb, as we are being inspected this week :(
    I got caught out last year by the day. What do you think the timings are? 11 am on the _____ until 11 am on the ____?!

3. Colleen_Young

Jane I hope the inspection goes well.

The usual pattern is a 48 hour period whilst it is the event date somewhere in the world; for the UK if the usual pattern is followed then 11am 6th March till 11am 8th March. They usually put the times under FAQ (still 2011 at the moment).

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Thanks, weird thing some pupils asked me about it last lesson yesterday and now you've reminded me again.

5. oh lor' - how did that come round again so quickly?

6. Colleen_Young

That thought struck me too Flora!

Note - technical requirements now available.

7. Can't register - closed for some reason. Miserable crippleware!

8. Colleen_Young

Registration starts 1st Feb Jimmo.

9. I've not done this for a couple of years and found registration more complicated!
    I was wondering about the age requirement: I put all year 7's as 12, all year 8's as 13 and all year 9's as 14. What have other people done?
    I am a bit worried that the weaker year 9's may struggle in the 14-18 group but not sure whether to change it.

10. Colleen_Young

I have registered our students - easy to cut and paste once you figure out where to click before you paste that is! I know people have trouble with this.
    Updated my post here.

11. Well i have spent an hour on this and failed. I had the teacher guide with me but to no avail. Sometimes I would get half of the class registered although all of them were copied onto their table. Then I couldn't seem to add the missing ones individually. I don't know what is going wrong but I am fed fed up.[​IMG]

12. Colleen_Young

Not sure this is much help and I know not ideal but when I have had trouble in the past I have usually found that I can sort things out early in the morning! It is frustrating when it doesn't work properly.

13. Hi

Could you briefly describe how you did it? I have spent 2 hours trying it! It seems to pick out 3 pupils' names and register them but not the rest! I remember it being tricky last year - not very user friendly at all!

thanks.

14. Colleen_Young

I agree it's not user friendly. I managed to add one student just now by copying and pasting. I could not type the details directly into the grid because it would not let me change the age from 4 (she's sixth form!).
    Using the spreadsheet template and copying and pasting it worked.
    Having been asked this question a few times today I thought I'd post some instructions - I'll rephrase that - this worked at the time I tried it!

15. Thanks. I just tried again with your suggestions but it is no good still. I can only try to add all the students it didn't take singly and then when I submit it leaves a whole lot behind again! It is incredibly frustrating. I feel like I have spent hours and got nowhere. So sad as we usually really have a good timethis time of year with it.

16. Colleen_Young

Have you tried contacting them teena?

17. I had same problem when I tried to upload classes. Random pupils were left out. Gave up after a couple of hours. I contacted the organisers but their response was that they had launched event especially early this year to iron out problems! Good luck.

18. Ditto. just had the same message from them. I can't see how anybody got theirs registered![​IMG]

19. Just checking if anybody knows if this is correct, I have seen somewhere else that it is from 10am on 6th until 10am on the 8th.
    Thanks