1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

world maths day 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by smurphy1973, Feb 2, 2011.

1. March 3rd is World Maths Day and I wondered if any schools are doing activities as part of this? The TES website appears to be the only educational website I can find even mentioning it! It is also World Book Day which I know has a higher profile in schools. Any help gratefully received ~ thanks!

2. we did last year - d**m near killed me and the head of maths - she worked in the hall with 2/3 of the kids - i had the strugglers in a separate room - but i did have ta's coming out of my ears!! the hom had my y6 gat group as her helpers all day. we took one year group each lesson (we're a junior school and still have a 4 lesson day)
    they had a series of 6(?) challenges - we took some from the 'mathematical challenges' book, some from enrichment courses we'd taken the kids on, suitably adjusted for the strugglers, and rotated them round in groups of however many
    this year we're doing a puzzle day, digging out all the extension/maths puzzles we've accumulated over the years and splashing out £100 this year's y6's won in a competition to buy more (so my sorabans will have to wait *sigh*) as they're harder to share round, the bottom set kids will have to wait till the following day!

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Note it is 1st March this year, not 3rd. There is also a World Spelling Day.

I have been trying to confirm registration this evening and the site has been down - so hope they sort themselves out.

4. Thanks for your help. Can you tell me where you found out the date as TES website is saying the 3rd and I am getting a tad confused!

5. Thanks for your reply ~ don't think i'll be quite that ambitious but like your maths challenges ideas! Good luck with your puzzle day.

6. Colleen_Young

smurpy - definately 1st March - picture here!
    As I type this the site is down - not good!

7. Colleen_Young

definitely even
    Dear TES - why oh why can'y we edit our own posts?

8. does anybody else just do their own thing to celebrate the day rather than do the computer site thing?
    smurphy - i think we are mad, but we are 2 driven women!!

9. We are having a whole maths week Primary school.

We are using the Essex MAths team @Maths at hte mivies as a springboard.
    registering all the children for the website challenge.
    Getting the children to make Maths hats over halfterm to wear to assembly Monday Morning.
    Money day - using some pfeg things as well as making penny pictures to raise money for our nominated charity.
    Smarties day - cooking and probability.
    MAths trail around the school
    Anything else that can be creative and interesting

10. respect!!!!!

11. Colleen_Young

Registered our students very easily this morning. All seemed to be working well - nice & fast!

12. We set our year 7s off on it today, they're so excited about it - really nice to see!

13. I love the way the kids are so impressed by MY scores!!! It is the only time they ever are impressed!!! Beat a colleague who is about 25 years younger than me and MUCH brighter!!!

[​IMG]

14. I agree about the levels - it was much better,
    It annoyed me that, having got me to enter the age of each class, the kids were then asked their age and some changed theirs to 4 and got silly questions. I reset them all on Tues morning, when I found how to do it and some changed them again!!!
    Caught one of my 10s looking at various schools' websites after they had played people from that school!

15. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I never worked out how to reset the age, with one accidental and one deliberate "4 year old". I ended up having to register them again, in a new class because there didn't seem to be a way to add a pupil directly to my class.
    I got revenge on the deliberate one: threw up the top half of their class results, told them to ignore his as he was "4", and queried why he'd only got 95% accuracy.
    I was supposed to be teaching year 10 for half a lesson immediately after their maths module exam, so WMD solved the problem of what to do with them.

16. Has anyone worked out what the Platinum certificates are about? It doesn't just seem to be based on the number of correct answers but I haven't been able to work out what else is involved - maybe high scores?

17. Any pupil who played 60 games was awarded a platinum certificate.

18. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I thought they were for having played 60 or more games.

19. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I thought they were for having played 60 or more games.

20. Thanks - that seems to be it.
    It is a pity really as some have played 60 and got really low scores (even spotted one of mine who had started his minute, done one sum, surfed the net for 50 seconds and then come back for the last 5 seconds, scoring 2!) whereas someone else might have played 59 games and scored 30+ on each game!