1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Maths Day 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by johnmaher99, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    World Maths Day (March 1st) is quickly approaching and I was getting all geared up to set up the students logins. But there seems to be a problem with the website, and I was wondering if anyone else came across the same issue.
    Basically, some computers will load the website no problem and others will not. We have tried all updates, especially Flash 9 or above. Even on my home netbook, the site does not load correctly and can sometimes get the % bar to load to 100 but nothing happens afterwards.
    My tech guys are on the case and are scratching their heads.
    Can anyone please help if you know how to fix problem or if you have similar issues.
    Try the link below to check please:
    www.worldmathsday.com
    All help gratefully received.
    Cheers.
    John

2. I am having a similar problem - can only get to a pale blue screen that freezes with a spinning World Maths Day logo and 100% or a blue screen with a darker blue strip at extreme top left hand side! This has happened on school network and home computer.
    Unfortunately I have no ideas or suggestions of what to do. Don't know if it is a problem with the way the computers are set up or the website itself.
    Lorna

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I can only open it in IE, Firefox will not work.

4. I have been having the same trouble too. I signed up last month and the site looked "normal" but now all I can get is the loading bar and the blue screen. I hope that this doesn't mean that there is trouble on the horizon. We participated in the American Math Challenge in the fall and the students are anxiously awaiting March 2011!
    Thanks-
    Stephanie

5. I am sure that registration, last year, didn't start until Feb 1st, and although the page loads up fine for me in Firefox, some of the dates refer to 2010. I'll check the mathletics page.

www.mathletics.com

6. When I checked the calendar and found that Mar 1st was a Tues, this confused me because it has been Wed in the past, but it seems legit, even wikipedia confirms it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Maths_Day

it does also state that registration starts on Feb 1st, so I'm not sure if you can be registered already. If you registered last year, you will still need to re-register this year.

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Salsamaths is right - you need to register each year.
    Note that you can pre-register now, then you will be notified when registration is open.
    I pre-registered yesterday and received confirmation that World Maths Day is 1st March.
    The platform opens 1st February.
    Any Twitter users - World Maths Day on Twitter.
    This year there will also be a World Spelling Day - March 3rd.

8. Casy, do you reckon that it is 1st March, as in 11am on 30th April to 11 am on 2nd March or that it starts at 11 on 1st March and goes on for 48 hours? Have booked IT facilities for Tues to Thurs, as in the past but none of our Year 8s OR 9s have a lesson in those 48 hours, so I wouldn't mind if they changed it!

9. Colleen_Young

Hi Jane - fellow World Maths Day fan!
    1st March is the day so I reckon 11 am 28th Feb to 11am 2nd March.
    Have already booked the computer rooms!
    Have also told the English Dept about World Spelling Day.
    Relevant links on my blog.

10. Thanks Casy - don't quite know wy I put 30th April as being the day before 1st March - sums up the state of my mind at the moment!
    I have also booked IT Rooms but for 11 am Tues to 11am Thurs, so had better rebook tomorrow!
    I shall be more into it this year, so shall be trying to beat you!!!

11. DM

DM New commenter

I like it as an idea but it is ridiculously easy. Do you think it might be slightly more difficult this year?

12. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Agree with DM. Once the students have got over competing with student X from country Y, the level of maths involved was repetitive and dull. It all strikes me as a bit of free publicity for the website owners.

13. Colleen_Young

googolplex, yes it is indeed publicity for the website owners, but for a short time this is all free and a lot of students enjoy this. Good for Mathletics for providing the free fun! Anyone can take part. You don't need to subscribe later.
    Jane I look forward to playing you again!

14. Hi
    I understood you could register for World Maths Day from 1 February, however I cannot find the site, Does anyone have a link. I have never had this trouble before.

Thanks

15. Colleen_Young

CurlySue the site is www.worldmathsday.com/
    I could not get on to the site for some time yesterday evening but all was well early this morning. I registered a class very easily just now.
    Other links of interest here.
    World Spelling day March 3rd.
    Sumdog and Tutpup are free all year round. .

16. It seemed a lot easier to register your pupils this year - took me about an hour to register 18 classes and print off the passwords etc. I remember spending many frustrating hours in previous years, trying to do it!

17. Colleen_Young

Jane I agree - as I said on the other thread (why have we got two?) registration was quick and easy this year. No problems copying and pasting from Excel.