1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World cultures club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by charlotte_27, Oct 8, 2015.

1. charlotte_27

charlotte_27 New commenter

I am starting a ks1 club for world cultures. I would like to look at a different country every week/fortnight and look at language, customs, food and drink, clothes etc.

I would appreciate any ideas or tried and tested activities that have gone well!

Thanks!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Start with Britain, to give the children an understanding that what you will study about other countries is only a snapshot of the country. It's fun to make pizzas when studying Italy, for example - but it's very easy for children to believe that Italians eat pizza every day! But if you did, say, fish and chips or curry for Britian, you could talk about the children's own experiences of eating fish and chips/curry: do you like it, how often do you eat it, etc. Same thing goes for clothes. Just because it's a national costume doesn't mean everyone wears this every day! I remember being confused about that as a child.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

You might find this site very useful: http://www.newburyparkschool.net/langofmonth/
    The videos are great and very child-friendly and there are plenty of other resources that could be used, adapted or that will give you ideas for KS1.