1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World chess champion Bobby Fischer was one fine day our walking ... suddenly things went Kafka...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

DrLinus likes this.
  2. Wanda_the_Wonder

Sorry, the thread title should of course read:

World chess champion Bobby Fischer was one fine day out walking ... suddenly things went Kafka

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Don't know too much about him but I found it perplexing that while the US tends to encourage confident brats, when one came along in the form of Fischer but who could (like Mcenroe) back it up with a truly incredible talent....they suddenly just seemed to want him destroyed.

Weird. The man was outrageously brilliant at playing chess and gave the US great propaganda in the 'we are better than you' fights between them and the USSR.

Yet something about him they just did not want.

DrLinus likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I remember the time I was playing best of three chess with my boyfriend an he suddenly said "let's make things more interesting!".
    So we stopped playing chess.

Nealswife and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A quick scan of his Wikipedia profile shows he was a deeply troubled individual. Whilst the events he described may well have happened, they are part of a complex story involving lifelong mental illness. Sometimes the case with geniuses.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Wanda_the_Wonder

'Whilst the events he described may well have happened, they are part of a complex story involving lifelong mental illness'

His tale here does not ring of mental illness; it rings of police brutality.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Strip chess can be a tedious game. So can strip poker, to be honest. Strip snap less so.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ditto that.
    Strip Monopoly can be fun too-gives a whole new meaning to Community Chest.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And the waterworks can be viewed in a different light if you haven't got your incontinence pants on!

Aquamarina1234 and sbkrobson like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah yes, this we do like to recognise in an inclusive way, so in our version you are allowed to collect £200 every time you pass water.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Tedious. That's a good word. Unfortunately it is seldom heard these days, but a good one if you understand how it is applied. I am not even sure what the modern "textspeak" equivalent is? Maybe it's an icon of some sort.