1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Book Night - Anyone else giving books away?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by nick909, Feb 1, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Has anyone else been selected to give books away for World Book Night?
    http://www.worldbooknight.org/
    I've been chosen, and am inordinately excited! I'm giving away David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.
    What books are others giving away? Any plans to hold an event to give them away, or are you just going to give them out? Will you do it on the night, or on the days and nights surrounding the event?

2. Nope - rejected...
    Got an email a few weeks ago that said it was highly likely that I would be selected as I was one of the first to sign up and it was a first in best dressed arrangement - then got an email tonight to say I didn't meet some criteria that has never been mentioned before.
    Not impressed really... IMHO looks dodgy now... extending the deadline when they already had 20000 givers signed up - what were they looking for????

3. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Yes! I am really excited too and am giving away 48 copies of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, although my teenage sons are totally underwhelmed as I plan to take them to my nearest Game store and try to persuade youngsters to forsake Call of Duty Black Ops for a free copy of Pullman's book!

4. lalad I wanted Northern Lights too! I got the Margaret Attwood book instead. I've got together with the English dept, and we're trying to think of some fun ways to get the books out. We're thinking of sending a few to the international schools we have links with. We thought we'd ask the recipients to pass them on to friends so we could see how far the books make it in the country.

5. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

I am dleighted to be chosen and excited about giving away Life of Pi ny Yann Martell.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

That's a good idea. A blog or similar could be started that asks recipients to state whereabouts they live and subsequent recipients to do the same and see which book gets the furthest.

7. Hi, I'm giiving out " A Fine Balance", Rohinton Mistry, and I'm pixilated. I haven't planned anything yet, but am trying to contact places to see if they would like to be involved. I had thought to go to the Central Rail Station and give some out there with friends, but still at the planning stage. Great! How many of you are planning to go to Trafalgar square on the Friday?

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Trip to Trafalgar Square definitely not feasible for me - a full-teaching day plus heavily pregnant wife means that's out of the question really.
    Received emails to say books are on their way.
    Very exciting!

9. I was really excited untill I got an email to tell me I was being given a book I didn't choose! I had planned to give 'The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night time' to a largely female staff including TAs, cleaners and dinner supervisers .
    I have been given 'Agent Zigzag' which (sorry to be slightly sexist') is really more of a 'boy' book about a wartime spy. I'm struggling to think of enough people who would like it - I've tried emailing and ringing but it is impossible to get through.

10. One of the Terms and Conditions for being a World Book Night Giver is:

- Givers agree, to the best of their ability, to help World Book Night track the passage of their books by filling in a unique reference number in each book they give away. Full details of this will be supplied to givers

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Can I come and beg for one? Hope that doesn't sound as creepy as I think :)

12. Hi Nicola, If you are not too far away, perhaps we could swap some of my Curious Incidents for some of your Agent Zigzags? I am in Havering.

13. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Have any of you picked up your books yet? I had an email to say they should be available for collection last week, but when I rang my local library today, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about! I was hoping for more information about the book tracking scheme someone mentioned as well, and maybe some promotional material (stickers/posters/badges/bookmarks) - it would be good to have a bit more communication from the organisers, given that we only have a few days left before Saturday!

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I was under the impression we'd get another email when they'd been sent. I'd assumed it would be this week sometime. It's certainly getting a little close.
    The organisation of it has been a little lax, I'd say. The debacle with the website and choosing your collection point was ridiculous. Bit of a stereotype, but I guess that arty/booky types might not be best at organising things! Maybe with the experience, future events will be better.
    I keep getting emailed about Trafalgar Sq as well. Maybe they're not getting a massive amount of interest in it?

15. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Hi Nick
    I just picked up the books - apparently they came this morning, but the library hadn't been given my contact details so were waiting for me to contact them. No promotional material with them, which is a shame - and I'd still like to know about the tracking scheme, preferably before the night!. I'd love to go to Trafalgar Square, but it's a bit far for me.

16. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks Lalad - the book shop I'd chosen is near work, and so I'll pop by either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll give them a bell first.

17. I've got my books...

18. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Just back from giving away all my books. Reactions varied - a couple of "No thanks." or "What's the catch?" - but most people were delighted and thought it was a great idea. How did the rest of you get on?

19. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Given a load away via facebook; got a load ready for school; some set aside for parents' evening and now off into Winchester to give the remainder away!
    Very exciting.

20. Mine were all 'promised' before I even collected them - all ready to deliver some have already gone.