1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Book Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beckycharles, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help. To celebrate World Book Day each class in our school is doing a days work on a different author (12 classes in school). I have managed to sort out the rest of my year group (Year 4) with authors, CS Lewis and Dick King-Smith, but I'm stuck as to who to choose for myself. I have only moved to Y4 this year and previously have taught in y6, I would have chosen Anthony Horowitz had I still been there. I was wondering about JRR Tolkien, having previously taught parts of The Hobbit which the children seemed to enjoy. Do you think this would be suitable for Y4?
    Any other ideas would be gratefully received, I want something that will appeal to both the boys and the girls and as we do a lot of Roald Dahl, I want to avoid him.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help. To celebrate World Book Day each class in our school is doing a days work on a different author (12 classes in school). I have managed to sort out the rest of my year group (Year 4) with authors, CS Lewis and Dick King-Smith, but I'm stuck as to who to choose for myself. I have only moved to Y4 this year and previously have taught in y6, I would have chosen Anthony Horowitz had I still been there. I was wondering about JRR Tolkien, having previously taught parts of The Hobbit which the children seemed to enjoy. Do you think this would be suitable for Y4?
    Any other ideas would be gratefully received, I want something that will appeal to both the boys and the girls and as we do a lot of Roald Dahl, I want to avoid him.

Thanks in advance!

3. How about David Walliams?
    We had Mr Stink as a class book, and my KS2 class loved it. It appeals to both boys and girls and my class were gripped!
    He's just been interviewed by Chris Evans as part of the Radio 2 500 words or less story-writing competition, so you may be able to get that on i-player and there are lots of youtube videos with him talking about the book.