1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World book day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

What are people doing for world book day? Just started a new school as literacy coordinator and my last school never acknowledged it. Apart from dressing up, what activities are people doing.

2. sbu

sbu

we are asking the children to come in their pyjamas and bring their favourite bedtime story. They have previously dressed up as book characters but we wanted to avoid grumbles from parents who struggle to afford costumes. All the staff came as Where's Wally last year and that was a giggle! We always do a whole school assembly where we bring a book to life (we've done going on a bear hunt, the gruffalo and billy goats gruff) and we do a quiz. We are going to do a reading treasure hunt around the school on each classroom door and we are going to start a story off in the nursery and pass it from class to class for each class to contribute to and they we will read it out at the end of the day.

3. This sounds fantastic. What does your reading treasure hunt consist of? Like the idea of bringing a book to life in assembly. Could do with some inspiration to jazz up our whole school assembly.

4. kerrytd

kerrytd New commenter

I've done a 'Secret Librarian' before. Put names of all children in the class into a hat. Each child then takes out a name but tells no one else whose name they have. They have to think of a book that that child would enjoy reading - I told them they may have to look carefully at what books that child selects off the reading shelf or chat to them about their hobbies, interests etc without raising suspicion! On World Book Day they have to bring in the book they are recommending with the name of the child they are recommending it to on a slip of paper inside. I then hand out the recommended book to each child who has to fill in a short 'questionaire'. First they are asked to look at the front cover and evaluate its appeal, then read the blurb. They are then given time to read the first chapter and to decide whether their 'Secret Librarian' has done a good job with their recommendation before revealing who recommended what to whom!
    We have also done a sponsored silent read before in pyjamas - a blissfully quiet afternoon with children having made dens under tables and snuggled up with pillows. Raised a lot of money for charity too.