1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Book Day

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by WorldBookDay, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Hi
    everyone

As you might already know, World
    Book Day, the biggest annual celebration of books and reading in the
    and Ireland, takes place
    next year on Thursday 4 March 2010. and £1/€1.50 World Book
    Day tokens will be distributed from January onwards to all primary schools in advance before 30
    November 2009. Registration is
    free, so don’t miss out! You can register through the WBD website -
    www.worldbookday.com - which is also a
    great source for ideas and events listings.

The £1/€1.50 World Book Day tokens
    which come with other support materials can be redeemed at participating
    bookstores against any book priced at &pound;2.99/&euro;3.99 or more, or exchanged for<font color="black"> one of this </font>year&rsquo;s
    specially commissioned &pound;1 books. The pre-school &pound;1 book for 2010 will be a
    Thomas the Tank Engine title published by Egmont.

If you miss the free registration
    deadline, then there is a fee to register. Just contact the WBD Helpline if you
    have any questions on 01634 729810 (<font color="black">from 8am until 6pm, Monday to Friday) or by email:
    <u>wbd@education.co.uk</u></font>
    Perhaps if
    youd something particularly successful last
    year, you&rsquo;d like to
    share with it with
    fellow TES-ers? As the day
    approaches, feel free to use this thread to discuss anything and
    everything World Book Day related.

With best wishes from
    the World Book Day team

2. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hello,

It is the turn of my class to do assembly on the 4th of March and we have decided to base it around World Book Day. I have taken a quick look at the website and their is a teacher's script on there.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what we could do in an assembly to go with this? My class love to sing, dance and act so I think we need to get a lot of drama in there to keep them smiling!

Thanks

3. I hate World Book Day. Schools are, by their nature, language rich environments. Why do we need a day of dressing up and faffing round? I'd rather be teaching.

4. SparkyTeaching

SparkyTeaching New commenter

We've just posted a World Book Day challenge at http://www.sparkyteaching.com/creative/words/extremely-short-stories/ which you might be interested in. It's the idea of writing a story in 10 words or less. Could your class read some of their stories in the assembly?
    We do hope to upload some free worksheets to that address in the next couple of days to back-up the idea. In the meantime, you can submit your stories using the comments form on the page.
    Hope this helps?

5. jen77

jen77 New commenter

Wow - glad i'm not in your class! Can you not have fun whilst teaching? Isn't that the essence of being an early years teacher?!
    My class love to see what we dress up as and vice versa... personally I'm really looking forward to it [​IMG]

6. My point was that we have fun learning everyday. We don't need a day of sitting in the hall watching to see what all the children have dressed up as when we could be using that time learning.

Most of our parents hate world book day too - its just another stress for busy working parents to clobber together a costume for a competition that really has no meaning for their children.

7. jen77

jen77 New commenter

I couldn't disagree with you more. The day is for the children after all. Your statements reek of negativity. I can't wait to put on my costume and have a good giggle with my class [​IMG]

8. My statements reek of negativity?

"Wow - glad i'm not in your class!". How arrogant! I teach my children to express a range of opinions without resorting to insults. While you're having fun dressing up, we'll be busy developing our social skills.

9. jen77

jen77 New commenter

Enjoy [​IMG]

10. Anyone have any ideas as to what to dress up as? In my school both chn and staff dress up.. minimal time and effort required - help please?!

11. Where's Wally. Red & White striped shirt, blue trouser, cane, brown boots, red bubble hat, geeky glasses. Sorted!
    Or Paper Bag Princess. Buy a roll of brown packaging paper and make a dress out of it (easier than it sounds), little yellow crown.

12. In the afternoon, Reception go to the local branch of Waterstones where an author talks about his/her book etc. The children love it! [​IMG]