1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

World Book Day Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Feb 25, 2011.

1. For World Book Day, we encourage the children and staff to come dressed as a fictional book character. In the past, we have had each class come to the front of the hall so everyone can see their costumes and a selected panel of staff members then choose 2 children to be winners for their costumes, getting a prize of a book.
    This year, we are again encouraging children to come dressed as book characters and will be having prizes for each class, but I was looking for other ideas to organise the assembly. I sometimes feel, with each class parading at the front of the hall, things drag on and especially the younger children get quite restless. Any suggestions that have worked for others?

2. For World Book Day, we encourage the children and staff to come dressed as a fictional book character. In the past, we have had each class come to the front of the hall so everyone can see their costumes and a selected panel of staff members then choose 2 children to be winners for their costumes, getting a prize of a book.
    This year, we are again encouraging children to come dressed as book characters and will be having prizes for each class, but I was looking for other ideas to organise the assembly. I sometimes feel, with each class parading at the front of the hall, things drag on and especially the younger children get quite restless. Any suggestions that have worked for others?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Instead of parading, could the children be asked to move into genre groups - big posters in the four corners of the room (more points if necessary) with genre heading to guide them - that'll make 'em think!