1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workshop supervision

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by shmoob, May 21, 2012.

1. I wouldn't know about a specific D&T PGCE, as I only did a general one in service - so I can only tell you what happens in our large FE / sixth form college.
    supervision in workshops is carried out by a number of staff from different areas - though predominantly those from 3D Design background. However - only staff with a certificate in the safe use of woodworking machinery can supervise students using that equipment. Other, uncertificated, staff can use the machines - they just can't supervise students doing so. They can supervise students using equipment that is less likely to chop off body parts.
    As well as teaching staff we also have a technician who has been trained in the use and maintenance of the woodworking machinery - this technician can also supervise students using that equipment.
    hope this helps.

2. re

re New commenter

As far as I am aware,untrained staff must not supervise pupils using equipment. Training is available through DATA, generally costing around 300 per day, with a registration fee per student..
    We have the ludicrous situation that we have a cover supervisor who teaches 3 DT lessons per fortnight and has had appropriate training, so kids can use tools in his lessons. When he is covering, however, he is not allowed to use tools, as he's being paid as a cover supervisor at that time.