1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worksheets are banned in my school - worried NQT!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lucywag, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am an NQT starting with a Year 4 class in September. I have been told by my mentor and the headteacher that "we are a worksheet free school." Basically, worksheets are forbidden at all costs!
    Not being a natural mathematician, in the past I have found it easiest to differentiate appropriately by creating my own worksheets for the children, or developing existing ones. I use ICT and games etc but I have found this works for me and I have never been criticised before.
    I am worried about September, I find it difficult to think of interesting and challenging tasks for maths anyway, but in a school where worksheets are strictly forbidden I am floundering. Can anyone recommend any books/websites that might help to give me ideas or help me to plan lessons?
    I would be really grateful
    Thank you

2. Hello
    I am an NQT starting with a Year 4 class in September. I have been told by my mentor and the headteacher that "we are a worksheet free school." Basically, worksheets are forbidden at all costs!
    Not being a natural mathematician, in the past I have found it easiest to differentiate appropriately by creating my own worksheets for the children, or developing existing ones. I use ICT and games etc but I have found this works for me and I have never been criticised before.
    I am worried about September, I find it difficult to think of interesting and challenging tasks for maths anyway, but in a school where worksheets are strictly forbidden I am floundering. Can anyone recommend any books/websites that might help to give me ideas or help me to plan lessons?
    I would be really grateful
    Thank you

3. Hi there,
    I am also starting my NQT in yr4 in September! Good luck!
    You could just write up the work on different whiteboards if you have a few - different work for each group. Maybe your school has special math textbooks to work from??? You could also (though it'll take some time) write up certain instructions/calculations in the chn's numeracy books beforehand.
    How about giving worksheets between two - they can write up Q and A in books. Is it that it wastes paper or that it makes the chn lazy??
    There's also a document called 'Wot, no worksheet?!' on www.leics.gov.uk/index/education You'll need to follow links to maths, year4 etc. It has great ideas for math without worksheets.
    That's all I can think of at the mo, sorry!
    sarbon

4. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

Hey, that does sound like it will make things difficult to begin with, but in the long run, I am sure it'll make you more creative (and you won't spend as much time making worksheets!).

I'm NQT too, but I saw my mentor on placement allowing the children to make their own numbers for things like sums. So, she'd give them different dices (1-10 etc.) and let them make their own multiplication sum etc.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

That sounds interesting, its a shame they've finished for summer because it would have been great for you to have seen it in action! I'm afraid I'm D&T Secondary so can't help but I'dbe interested to learn how you got on. Good luck x

6. Thank you - this website looks full of useful exercises, just what I need...I've saved it in favourites already!
    Good luck for your NQT year too, it's very exciting :)

7. Thanks Minnieminx - I've just ordered a copy of 'Pimp your Lesson' from Amazon :) - am keen to make my lessons as interesting as possible so it looks like a good place to start!
    Enjoy the rest of the summer holidays
    Lucy x

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is my current very favourite book. I'm on a second reading now and bought a copy for the NQT I mentored last year. Must get one ready for this year's NQT as well!