1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Worksheets and yet more worksheets

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the effectiveness of worksheets in lessons. I'm being told that's it's the"only" way to show progress over time in students books. It's this something to do with the new ofsted criteria or just the fad of some overpaid consultant.

2. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

We use worksheets all the time. We haven't had new textbooks since 2007 and the science gcse spec has changed massively so no choice.

strawbs likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Worksheets have their place and can provide a welcome relief for the students from listening to a teacher at the front droning on. Actually, some students like some writing and take pride in the work they're given. It also avoids the teacher having to 'perform' at the front of the class for all of the lesson. But as with all teaching, all things in moderation, worksheets now and again mixed with some straight forward chalk and talk, group activities, role play or other activities. You wouldn't want to use them every lesson.

ATfan, bevdex, SundaeTrifle and 8 others like this.
  4. jibberjabber77

Totally agree, I just don't want to do them every lesson :(

agathamorse likes this.
  5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Worksheets have been effectively banned in my school as we have been told that OFSTED will want more work directly into books. That’s teaching for you... so many messages.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  6. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 Occasional commenter

Worksheets can have a very limited use as a memorisation tool or extension task.

Other than that, they are banned at my place. We want active lessons with discussions, debates, analysis, roleplays, videos, interviews, audio clips, films and collaboration.

Myself and our Deputy Headteacher responsibility for teaching and learning believe that both textbooks and worksheets are outdated and ineffective teaching methods.

7. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Set a worksheet and stick it in books.

ms honey and BetterNow like this.
  8. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

Troll - Do not respond to this nonsense.

9. install

install Star commenter

Ignore - A Wind Up imho :rolleyes:

IanG, letap and HolyMahogany like this.
  10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

So many times people who are not teachers telling teachers how to teach and then it is followed by teachers being criticised when methods foisted upon them do not work.

Exactly.

Maybe, sometimes one might.
    Once, I worked in a school on long term supply, no text books and no exercise books either!
    No choice but use worksheets really; I bought a worksheet creating software online...it was a new thang then.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Good worksheets are designed to suit the needs of learners. For example, EAL students may need a bank of words; visually impaired learners may require enlarged text; and of course, fast learners will need extended tasks.

There is a huge variety of worksheets that can aid thinking skills (mind maps);
    memory (mneumonics); spelling ; writing; working out and more.

The trick is to make certain they are adapted to suit all learners. They are of course not the only way to learn and should be used in a balanced approach.

agathamorse, rooney1 and HolyMahogany like this.
  12. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

'Textbooks outdated'. This is for primary teachers really. Does anyone remember the R J Unstead history books. Lots of line drawings and short paragraphs of information. The children used to like these for research and easily understandable text. We had class sets of books - no reliance on technology and children could work at their own pace if appropriate and practise / use their reading. I like what technology lets me do in class but sometimes I just think books can do it better .

agathamorse, Morgelyn and Alice K like this.
  13. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Coming from someone who knows f@#k all about education - I would see this as a ringing endorsement for the usage of worksheets.

caress, sabrinakat, ATfan and 11 others like this.
  14. letap

letap Occasional commenter

I know what you are saying and why you are saying it, but old Green Fleas 123 is such an easy target and very easy to laugh at, rather than get wound up by.

caress, sabrinakat, ATfan and 6 others like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have some subject leaders who like worksheets to show progression and differentiation.
    What they really mean is when they do a book scrutiny they can see 'X has easy work, Y has middling work and Z has harder work' as that is the only differentiation they value. They can also see at a glance that the sheets in the autumn term are 'easier' than those in the summer term.
    It is nothing at all to do with children's learning and everything to do with their weakness as teachers and subject leaders.
    Moving to EYFS has many, many benefits...even the DH supports me over subject leaders on the issue of worksheets in a nursery class!

Kartoshka and agathamorse like this.
  16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think worksheets and text books can both be good or bad. The advantage of write-on worksheets is the students gets to concentrate on the subject, not the mechanics of writing. There is no need to spend time fussing about with date, title, writing out the question or the sum....

The worksheet can contain the date, title, information, picture /diagram/graph to have under your hands and interact with, and keep for reference

So the student's time is spent on reading, understanding or responding, not copying down information, as you have already given it to them, and no chance it is wrong or illegible.

17. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

I agree and I have enjoyed taking a few swipes at 'old green dreams' myself.
    my concern about 'old green sleeves' is that I don't think WD is the right place for their nonsense.
    There are posters on this sight who are in real trouble and often very distressed when they get in contact.
    OK we all go off at a tangent and make jokes and have our own axes to grind. On the whole there is good judgement exercised and the needs of the poster are usually put first, very thoughtfully and when needed sensitively addressed before the debate develops.
    Trouble is that I don't think 'old green beans' has very good judgement, or any judgement for that matter, about what they are saying and when and to whom. There is a risk that they will either mislead or upset someone who is in real need of care and support.
    Also their attempt at a parody of school management does feel that it is wearing a little thin. I think the art to this type of humor is to invent a scenario that becomes increasingly bizarre over a period of time. Somehow this just doesn't provoke a good laugh.
    As I have said before to 'old green breeze' - 'try raising the bar'

caress, letap, ATfan and 3 others like this.
  18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I agree with what you are saying about this poster being a parody of the worst of school management, and possibly being damaging on work place dilemmas, That's all true. Sadly however, the posters here are likely to come across some major idiots in real life too, and maybe seeing how they are held in ridicule here can be helpful and reassuring.

caress, letap, IanG and 4 others like this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is no need for any of those things with or without a worksheet.
    In maths one might want to write a calculation (not just sums, but products, quotients, etc as well) in order to use it to find the solution, but the rest of what you've posted isn't needed anyway.

A short date for reference takes less time than sticking in a worksheet.

ajrowing likes this.
  20. jibberjabber77

That is exactly it, and tbh I'm getting fed up it