1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workouts - what do you do to keep fit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 30 minutes in the morning before I shower and get ready for work (normally core stuff). 15 minutes on cross trainer after work. Power walking every other night for about 4-5 miles and anything between 5-8 miles on Sunday morning.

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I used to do tons of stuff, but had to cancel gym membership due to combination of back injury and straightened finances.
    Now I do lots of walking (with small furry companion in tow) and I'm trying really hard to get out on my new bike, but am not really enjoying it much.
    Considering resurrecting Mr manny's old free weights set from the garage and putting together a simple workout that won't knack my back too much. Also going to try Zumba next week for the first time.

3. akz

akz New commenter

4 to 7 miles of running 5days a week (morning during the holidays and evenings when at work), 13 to 16 miles running one day a week. It was more during training for the marathon in April but I have cut back.

I cycle the 5 miles to a from work most days now and I walk the dog for at least an hour a night and more at the weekend.

I enjoy badminton but don't really get the time. The same goes for swimming.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have the EA Active 2 workout game for the Wii and do a work out using that a couple of times a week. It is much harder work than the old EA Active game and gives me a really good full-body work out.
    We also have an exercise bike so when I am watching the Apprentice every week (or similar) I pedal away while shouting at the candidates for being numpties!

5. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I used to go to the gym three times a week but haven't got the time now! I'm lucky if I go twice!
    I tend to do 20-30mins on the treadmill (walking very fast up a steep incline), then either cross trainer (which I hate) or rowing 2000m.
    They controlled weights for legs and arms, then 300 sit ups. I actually like going at the end of my working day, then I feel refreshed and ready for the evening (or ready to write reports which is what I'm doing at the moment!).

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

OMG you're all doing far more than me! I do 3 classes a week. 1 hour circuit/interval training, 1 hour weights (Bodypump) 1 hour Bodycombat x

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

sod all

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im exhausted reading all you have done....how did i survive 65 years not doing all these streneous things?
    mind you i dod have my allotments, teaching, building and house work to help bit i suppose....maybe i did it wrong and should have been a cabbage.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness gracious!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ooooh! I am seriously impressed so far. Tbh I was expecting a lot more replies like Dooms, simply because posting on TES is such a sedentary activity. Sometime I feel like a right couchie perusing t'internet and posting on here.

11. Walking 3-4 miles every day - usually with the dog in tow.

12. I'm much lazier, I run every other day but only just 2 miles.
    That's it for me. I am considering getting an exercise bike.

13. Walking to the supermarket to get more chocolate on special offer.
    Walking to the bus stop on the way back.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

The only time I power walk is when aforementioned small, furry companion spots a bunny rabbit diving for cover into the hedge!
    Most of the time it's stop-start-stop-start as she simply MUST sniff every single blade of grass at 10 metre intervals. [​IMG]

15. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I feel exhausted reading this!
    My clicking fingers get lots of exercise on here. Especially when I can only type one-handed cos the cat's demanding stroking..... like now!

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

[​IMG]

I need some tips!!!!!!!!

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You make me feel so good. Your workout is the height of 'couch' [​IMG]

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

19. When you say "fit", what do you mean? When you "keep fit", what are you hoping you're fit for? People of average weight who never set foot inside a gym manage to run for a bus or play football with their kids in the park. They'll never be asked to fight a sabre-toothed tiger or walk ten miles to collect water.
    I suppose if you play a sport you need to be of a level of fitness that enables you to take part without embarrassment but if not, what level of "fitness" are you aiming for? I know literally dozens of people who pounded the streets, swam up and down and lifted heavy things they didn't need to in the quest for "fitness" who died of something completely unrelated.
    Is fitness to 2011 what self-improvement was to the Victorians? Something that makes you feel better about yourself? Proves you haven't let yourself go? A self-respect thing maybe?
    *Ignores cost to school and state of PE teacher who broke ankle playing recreational rugby and TA who broke collarbone by dropping weight on it*

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just feel really unsteady and very aware of cars zooming up behind and overtaking very close in to me. I nearly came off at a roundabout because I wanted to turn right and had to turn my head to look behind me to check for cars. Lost my balance in the process!
    I'm keeping to the quiet back roads for now, or cycling on the pavement if I can get away with it.
    Don't think I'm really 'made' for cycling.