1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jellybean1900, Nov 7, 2017.

1. jellybean1900

jellybean1900 New commenter

Hi all,

I work in a state secondary school, I'm in my NQT+1 year. I was just wondering how people manage the secondary teaching workload? I seem to be constantly taking work home,working through the holidays and am always behind with my marking. I'm in a supportive environment, however with having 3 frees a week to mark 12 sets of 30 class books, plan all the other lessons, run extracurricular activities and hold intervention/revision lessons I am struggling with work/life balance.

Is this something other teachers are dealing with or is this me poorly managing my time?

Thanks.

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Chasing my tail is a way of life: it shouldn't be but unfortunately it is. However, there are only so many hours in a day. Learn to prioritise - what can wait an extra couple of days? Does it REALLY matter if you're a couple of days late handing back an assessment to students? Can you increase the amount of structured peer marking that goes on in your classroom? I'm not a fan of stamps really, but can you get a verbal feedback one and the student notes down your comments in the margin?
    Planning does become easier over time as you can recycle and adapt resources you've used before. Can you drop or ask someone else to cover an extra-curricular until Christmas to see if that helps you catch up?

As long as during your free time you're not swanning around talking to anyone else avoiding their workload, it doesn't sound like your time management is poor - it just sounds like you've a lot to do.

Sorry you're feeling snowed under (I think this term is the worst for it) keep plodding on and remember you're a human, not a robot and there is only so much you can do in one day.

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Occasional commenter

To me, this is the start of a slippery slope, purely because it seems you haven't mentally drawn a line of when work should stop. Every teacher is always behind on their marking (or planning, reports etc.) in their head; there's always something more that can be done.
    Where you draw the line is contentious. Some will say that you should work evenings/weekends/holidays, others will say you should be able to just clock in and clock out. I'm not going to tell you what to do but it has to be something you are comfortable with.
    It's easy to time manage if you give yourself every waking hour to get the tasks done! You've got to limit yourself to leave more time for yourself.

thatmaninthehat likes this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

The problem with leaving things a day or two as suggested means that you are even more behind later on. I have no magic tips. The problem lies with the system. No one can go on in this way. Staff welfare suffers and kids suffer. Pupils are being taught in increasingly larger groups which impacts staff health and pupil progress.

thatmaninthehat likes this.
  5. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

No easier in Primary by the way.I Agree with Cheesemongler. Draw a line .What is an acceptable work/life balance for you? Think about whether you can achieve that if you continue teaching.If not get out of it.Lots of us do.

6. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

I have a list of things to do in headings
    1) PLAN
    2) MARK
    3) ADMIN

I prioritise in that order and in each box. I work the hours I choose and if there is any slippage it's in 3) Admin or 2) Mark. Ideally I want to mark each class once every 3 lessons but slippage means it is sometimes every 4 or even 5 lessons. I find this manageable working 8.15 - 4.30/5 plus around 7 hours a week at home. I don't work more than 45 hours per week. Anything else can wait. In practice a class can wait another week to have work marked or do a self or peer review task. I also use time saving devices like letters for feedback which is decoded on board and students write in their own comments and then do their 'to do' tasks.
    E.g. WWW 1, 2,3
    EBI A,B,C
    To do, x, y, z

7. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

Teachers have to get past the "It has to be done" attitude. No it doesn't. If kids have to wait another week to get work marked, so what? A lot of admin is unnecessary so let it slide. A big tip from me is judge your own mood. I am never in the mood for marking but I know I can do it
    1) when I have high energy in short bursts
    2) when it is not too routine. So I have phases when I do all marking sitting in school after hours. This becomes a drag so I then have a complete change and mark at home in the evenings for a few days. Sometimes I do all one year group and get on a roll. At other times this gets too boring. So mix it up but when it is too boring for words force yourself to mark, say, 5 books through gritted teeth and then do something else and then do another 5. Rinse and repeat.

8. jellybean1900

jellybean1900 New commenter

Thanks for everyone's help. That has to be my next step, prioritising rather than trying to do everything all at once! I'm sure the drawing a line will come with experience in the profession and when I have my own family to spend time with etc. It's a shame (but reassuring) that most teachers are feeling a little snowed under, I'm going to try these tips and definitely give myself a cut off time during the week which I'm not going to work past. :)

CheeseMongler likes this.
  9. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

Yes. Put your headphones in and mark to a set list. Also mark as much as possible in class. When they are working quietly call a few up and mark the work with them sitting next to you.

10. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

I'm at the same stage of my career as you, OP. I will simply echo others' advice here:
    - Working excessive hours is a false economy; prioritise rest so you can deliver lessons with energy and enthusiasm as this is infectious :)
    - Mark in lessons as much as possible - plan your resources/visuals so that this is easy for pupils to do in class with their own green (or whatever colour it is these days) pens. Monitor in class and mark as they work or have them come to you as meggyd suggested.
    - If you want, join a subject group on Facebook for resources and ideas. However, possible danger of this is that this bleeds into personal life and there are those who seem to 'humblebrag' about how much work they are doing. Ignore them and just take what you can if you decide to do this.
    - Be strict with yourself. Regularly plan a meal out/gym/meeting friend for coffee for a set time so you HAVE to leave at a certain time. Set a cut-off time for all other days.
    - I'm sure pupils want a well-rounded, healthy, happy teacher more than anything. Marking can wait. The important stuff, eg. assessments, longer homeworks etc. matter but the day to day stuff can wait.
    All the best and hope this helps. Look after yourself first and foremost.

11. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

*false economy is probably not the term I was looking for but hopefully you know what I meant.