1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload - will this make a difference?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Nov 2, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hard to say... but can it do any harm?

The damage to this profession has come from government using education as an ideological play thing. [and I don't just mean the Tories but politicians of all stripes]

Dragonlady30 and monicabilongame like this.
  3. monicabilongame

Oi, what are you doing on here? I have an excuse - I'm avoiding writing an essay. What's yours?

:D

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Waiting for the car to be MOTed!

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:rolleyes: sounds like those kids in practicals;

"And what are you doing?"
    "I'm just waiting for him"

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's a genie out of the bottle thing is workload - unless someone can wave a magic wand and make everyone forget that Ofsted ever existed, that governments don't love dabbling with education, etc - nothing will get better.

Successive governments have for some years claimed they're going to cut it, but their action tends to amount to nothing more than 'We've told heads to cut paper work, there you are, we've done something!, whilst simultaneously bringing in more changes to curriculum, more targets, Ofsted changes, etc.

lizziescat, Dragonlady30 and drek like this.
  7. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

It's good to read -these authors are people that visit schools on a regular basis and can see the negative impact that these changes had had on teachers and teaching. It's not *just* moaning teachers for once, but outsiders.

I doubt Nicky Morgan gives a shiny shovel though.

What I don't get is, where is this going? If you make the job so miserable that no-one wants to do it, won't standards be driven down? Won't it screw up the children of the future and mean England look **** in these Pisa tables?! How is this good?!

drek likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

I think that many of the managers genuinely believe it is all about correct and proper management and that is what makes the difference.

Anyone can be a teacher, we've heard the same mantra for decades now - except it seems now many of those who did choose to be a teacher have decided they don't want to do it any more in order for managers to fulfil their fantasies.

The heart and art of teaching is being sucked out and replaced with one dimensional key metrics you can learn on a one day course.

drek likes this.
  9. NQT1986

Do the managers really not see that good teachers are leaving?

I think the main issues I have that would go some way to solving my own personal misery are

1. Less non-teaching management roles. This would mean less 'important people' strutting around with little purpose other than to observe/scrutinise and harrass teachers. It would also save money and they would be unlikely to support lengthy and complicated marking/assessment systems if they also had to do them. We could use the money saved to buy pencils.
    2. Scrap marking feedback/stampers/dialogue and implement a system wherby...
    a tick=correct and a x=wrong.Then a comment if appropriate that the child can read. This can be done in any colour...
    3. One observation a year by management. No grade to be given. I'd prefer more peer observations.
    4. Introduce a universally accepted way of levelling children's work. We could call them 'National Curriculum levels' or something like that. We could level the children in the core subjects once a year and see if the levels go up.
    5. Scrap Ofsted and have inter-school peer assessments where you go in to other schools and see lessons and they do the same with you.

That would make me happy!

10. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

NQT1986

You are clearly bonkers...

But I love you.

TEA2111 and NQT1986 like this.
  11. NQT1986

I am starting to believe that, yes!!

12. drek

drek Lead commenter

All I know is after one day back, the to do list from heads of years, head of KS x 3, HOD, that is 4 people give me micro orders about what they and their different line managers 'expect' on mon, tue, wed etc;
    And it is quadrupling what I would normally do. This is because they are teachers of less than 3 or 4 years, they say yes to everything, without any 'deep' thinking I.e time management analysis!
    They then 'feedback' about performance and attitude of different staff, to each other. Wicked! Sort of like the 'discussion on pupil achievement'.
    I feel like pantomime season has begun. The cinderellas are doing the drudgery, only there is no fairy godmother at the end of it all.

Mangleworzle and lanokia like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah @drek it's the 'too many chefs' syndrome...

Too many people climbing up to fulfill some responsibility foisted upon the school through Ofsted, resulting in multiple chiruping voices calling for work work work!

drek likes this.
  14. monicabilongame

I would be tempted to book the computer room and let the kids do 'research' while I got on with the essential data crunching or whatever is being asked of you - after all that is the most important thing in education now

TEA2111 and lanokia like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed, what @monicabilongame said.

Remember the bureaucracy is the important thing in education. Just babysit the pupils. Not like they matter.

o_O

16. drek

drek Lead commenter

Love the way chef 1 says want you to do this for me, it will take 5 min, ( you mean 5 minutes per student, so in reality your job takes around 2 hours!, chef numbers 2 - 4 come along and say, please get this done by tomorrow, but chef 5 and 6 want to have an emergency meeting that evening. So you go home knowing these people want a slice of you everyday, leaving you very little energy for your students. The 'dreamers' work for the grim reapers these days.

NQT1986 and lanokia like this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think the only sensible reply to this is to ask:"What do you not want me to do to allow me to do this?"

Of course, I realise that this reply will just be water off a duck's back and could even be terminal, such is the toxic atmosphere in some of our schools.

I suppose that one measure (apart from losing OFSTED, preferably in a black hole) would be for Nicky Morgan to get her department to issue an Administrative Memorandum to the effect that all tasks expected to be done by teachers must be time audited and the results displayed in the staffroom together with the total. If the total is more than a certain amount then something must go.

NQT1986 likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

A few years ago we had the latest initiative to incorporate into our lessons I took great delight in continually asking "What should I omit from my lessons in order to incorporate this?".

The answer to start with was "It won't take long and when you get used to doing it you won't notice".

"Yes but my lesson is already full, there is no time when I am doing nothing, to do something new I have to spend less time doing something else, what should I drop or reduce? What is less important?"

Of course I knew I wouldn't ever get a meaningful answer, but I enjoyed watching the instigators squirm.

NQT1986 likes this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Does the old adage still apply
    Those who can teach do so ..those who cant get promoted?
    My neighbour next door but one has just got a deputy heads job..reason....so he doesn't have to be observed and its less hassle....and he was a good HOD in science.

20. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Do you remember the list of duties that teachers were not supposed to do? When that was scrapped it had a massive effect. For example, does anyone NOT do their own photocopying now. The way that we utilised TAs has dramaticallly changed. Not only do I have to plan extensively for myself, I now have to plan extensively for a TA. And God forbid smt catch a TA putting up a display during a part of the lesson where they aren't really needed e.g. a spelling test. Spinning too many plates and getting an hourly rate of someone who washes plates. LIDL anybody?

NQT1986 likes this.