1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload - Secondary vs FE College

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ls709, Dec 12, 2015.

1. ls709

ls709 New commenter

Hi,

I currently teach maths in an "Outstanding" 11-18 school, and I am looking at applying for jobs outside of teaching due to the unrealistic workload expectations in my school. I was just wondering if there is likely to be much of a reduction in workload in teaching in an FE college?

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hollow laugh. I have taught in FE and SFC . . .

It will depend on the college, of course, but for starters you should know that:

a. Most of them pay less than schools. Including SFC, where the pupils are the ones you would see in your sixth form at school

b. Most of them require a higher number of teaching sessions than in a school

c. Many of them have morning sessions, 9.00 - 1.00, afternoon sessions finishing at 5.00, and evening sessions from 6.00 - 9.00. You would normally only teach 10 sessions in a week, and not all session each time. But you might get antisocial hours

d. Many of them allocate 7 weeks holiday only to lecturing staff. Plus Bank Holidays. And they will insist that you take some between Boxing Day and New Year.

HERE is some more information.

Best wishes

3. ls709

ls709 New commenter

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't considered many of those points.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think it is helpful to see a wide picture before possibly jumping out of the frying pan into the fire . . .

Best wishes

5. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

There does seem to be less nonsense in FE eg re marking but you would be teaching young people who have failed maths, hate it and are forced to do it. FE Colleges are not geared up to deal with poor behaviour and I wasn't supported at all, just blamed. Same applies to English. On the other hand, you could have adults who need to get their GCSEs and they generally are demanding because they worry about the work but are usually very pleasant to teach.
    FE also uses lots of hourly paid staff with few ft jobs available.
    But it might suit you better and you won't know until you try.