1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload of an English teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by angrypixie, Mar 23, 2017.

1. angrypixie

angrypixie New commenter

As an English teacher in a state school, how many hours a day/week would you say you do?

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

More than any clock can count...o_O

peter12171 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I did too many, and it broke me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

50-70 hours per week.

It's marking assessments that kills you - you've got to read them, point out spelling/grammar/other errors, give feedback and targets, assess against multiple objectives...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

70 hours a week? Luxury.
    I jest, but it is true.

It would be good to read up on how the Japanese have approached their culture of excessive hours. The profession of English teachers need to do something similar.

mstaylor1 likes this.
  6. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

@MrMedia can you point me in the direction of some reading?

7. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

55-65 each week is average for me but I'm HoD of English. I was working probably 50 a week as a normal classroom teacher.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Teacher in England or Teacher of English?

9. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I used to teach A level Physics and Chemistry plus GCSE classes and year 9. I did a fraction of the work that English teachers did - there is no way I could work like they do. Ultimate respect.

cate_h, Sully1411, yodaami2 and 2 others like this.
  10. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

All of them.

11. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

You find your own level of coping. Every teacher is different. I try to never take marking home with me. It's so important to prioritise your life and not look at teaching as an act of sacrifice. So many teachers in my view, work way too hard. A good teacher is a rested teacher. You will fall ill if you over-work yourself. I know it's not easy, because just doing what needs to be done is more than too much!

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  12. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

In my fifth year of teaching English now. I'm in school from 7.30, typically leave at 4.30, spend a few hours with the kids and then work 7 til 9 once they are in bed. I usually have to do about 6 hours at the weekends too. Obviously I did way more as an NQT. Good luck!

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

That's a 60 hour week and you say you did more as an NQT?
    It's an insane amount of working time. Say no. Do less. Enjoy life.

14. secretsiren

In school about 7 and then out at 4 on any day that doesn't have a meeting, after school event or revision thing (which happen twice or three times a week in total). Then work from 6.30-7.30, put kids to bed, 8-9 or so. Plus a few hours at the weekends too. I estimate 65 hours a week every week. But I'm HoD and have a full timetable so have to do all my extra work on top of planning, teaching and marking. I reckon the HoD stuff adds 10+ hours, so 55 as a normal class teacher.

Which is flipping ridiculous.

15. install

install Star commenter

This is scarey ...and I am not certain here but looking at it as a minimum for some teachers it might be:

30 students per class times 6 classes = 180 books to mark per week. So if a teacher even spends a minimum of 10 mins per book ( which would be tough) that would be 1800 minutes per week =

30 hrs per week on top of teaching!! Another working week in effect.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    rolysol likes this.
  16. zghoundi30

zghoundi30 New commenter

80 hours a week for me.
    Hardest part of being an English teacher: letting your students revise without relevant material!!! E-aqa not working. Could anyone send me SAMs for GCSE English language to adam_233@hotmail.co.uk? :)

17. devils

devils Occasional commenter

Out of all the teachers I've met in my life, the 2 types I give the most kudos...

Secondary English and Reception/Year 1

Both utterly bonkers in different ways..... :D

cate_h and madmother like this.
  18. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Just looking back at my last teaching timetable before I retired. I had 39 hours of lessons over a two week schedule. Worked from 8 till 4pm and almost never took work home. So I guess I did no more than 40 hours a week tops. I always used to reckon that teaching Sciences was much less time consuming than English, but 80 hours a week - unbelievable.

19. sputniksteve

sputniksteve New commenter

English teachers need to allow themselves the confidence to say no to excessive marking practices. Do as much as you can in the lesson. Summative assessments should not require detailed marking.

Use codes wherever you can. Use WWW/EBI styles of self-assessment.

But most of all, use as much formative assessment as you go as you can. Walk the room as the kids are working and note any common errors or misunderstandings. Equally, use kids' own work to model via visualiser or iPad/smartphone.

unfoggingblogger likes this.
  20. secretsiren

39 teaching hours over 2 weeks? I do 25 in a week!