1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload of a part-time teacher?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by siananderson1, Feb 5, 2019.

1. siananderson1

siananderson1 New commenter

Hello,

I'm considering training to be a teacher, with a view to possibly finding part-time work (0.8 contract) when I qualify. I'm interested to hear what my workload could look like on such a contract and wondered if there's any teachers that could advise? I'm particularly interested to hear about your contact hours with children and the time you spend working out of regular school hours. I'm interested in both Secondary MFL and Primary at this stage so I'd be interested to hear from teachers in both areas.

Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Secondary - most schools have a 25 period week, and you'd be teaching 18 out of the 20 you're in school (16 out of 20 whilst still a newly qualified teacher).
    Primary - similarly - you'd probably get 2 hours of PPA during your four days (4 the first year), and otherwise be in the classroom all the time.
    Lots of work beyond the school hours, particularly when you start out, as you are doing everything for the first time.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. SM86

SM86 New commenter

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I'd really like to get an idea of how many hours part-time teachers are spending doing work out of normal school hours, including how much work they are completing during weekends and holidays. I've got an idea of the hours of a full-time teaching load, and would like to know how this compares for part-time teachers.

Thanks

4. mjashtu2

mjashtu2 New commenter

I work 0.8 and have Tuesday off. I've done this for 3 years. I teach secondary Maths. We have a 6 period day and I teach 21 lessons and have 3 PPA slots. The timetable for students is 0835 to 1500.

In my first part time year I worked from 0730 to 1700 on the four days I was in school. Around 1 hour each working day night at home. Tuesdays from 9am to 12pm at home. Sundays around 2 hours.

I now work 0730 to 1700 every working day and an hour two nights a week. Nothing on Tuesday. Nothing on Saturday. Nothing on Sunday.

I had to discipline myself to work like this and know when to say "enough is enough".

annascience2012 likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

my friends who have a day off tend to work 9-5 on that week day, and less at weekends

6. siananderson1

siananderson1 New commenter

Thank you both.