1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload in the Christmas holidays

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dixie64, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

Just wondered if I'm the only one who keeps putting off the inevitable .... planning, intervention prep, assessment etc, etc. Really will get on with it tomorrow but so lacking in motivation and I'm a middle aged NQT who really should know better! Joking aside I am finding the work load a strain, this is aggravated by my teaching partner who is incredibly ambitious and therefore works 24/7 and expects me to do the same (I received 6 emails from her regarding planning by the end of first weekend)! She is a very talented teacher and I admire her a lot but she is also a complete control freak and is prone to treating me like a teaching assistant - despite my attempts to arrange joint planning time she went ahead and completed MTP without me - I find this so frustrating. I'm sure she thinks she's being helpful but I really would like a little input - surely that is not wrong? Anyway sorry for the vent - I hope everyone else is in a better place.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You aren't paid to work over the holidays, so it's your choice.
    Personally, I don't check school e-mails until the day before I'm due back in school, and will only mark work if it's exceptionally urgent. I've yet to be asked to do any work over holidays, though (and ultimately it's my choice if I do or not).
    It's usually over half-terms I'm always thinking "I'll do some of that tomorrow..." though!

3. You're not lacking motivation and you don't need to compare yourself to her. What you're doing is being sensible! Let her get on with it! If she wants to burn herself out and be ill, that's her business! You certainly don't need to join in!

In the meantime, carry on doing what you want to do in your own time, and when you get back, sweetly thank her for the e-mails etc she's sent (and say how useful they are, if that's true) and show her where you've added your own suggestions to any plans etc that she's given you!

She'll soon get the message that you're colleagues rather than her Teaching Assistant! It sounds to me as if she's lacking a bit of confidence/ is a bit insecure, in which case, I feel sorry for her because she's not setting herself up for an easy or happy teaching life!

Hope this post helps and that you have a good new year!

4. PS. Your workload will get easier after this year, as you'll be able to reuse or recycle everything rather than having to do it all from scratch!

5. Remember your colleague has been in the game for a number of years. She will not be feeling as stretched as you. Take the time out otherwise you will head for burnout.
    If you feel you want to - do some lesson planning preparation over the weekend. Just take teh time out to recharge and see friends.
    Best of luck.

6. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

Thanks for your replies - it really is reassuring to know it's okay not to work all the time. I'm going to do some lesson plans over the next couple of days - but at my own pace.

7. No disrespect Megerton, but it's perfectly possible to burn out and feel stretched no longer how long you've been teaching! I'm speaking from experience here, as I'm still recovering from the effects of this and I've been teaching for 6 years. I know of many others who have also been signed off with stress, burnout etc and they've been teaching a lot longer than me! Stress and burnout don't discriminate on the basis of experience (unlike some bosses)!

Also, how would you know how stretched the teacher in question feels unless you speak to her personally?

Otherwise, you've offered some good advice. :)

8. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Regardless of how stretched people are they work in different ways whether that be at weekends or in the holidays. I have colleagues who do all their work first thing on a Saturday and then like to enjoy the rest of the weekend without it hanging over them. Others leave it all until Sunday night to get back into work mode. If you're like me you plan to do the former but usually end up doing the latter or just working in dribs and drabs over the whole weekend.
    I
    Similarly with the holidays, I really wanted to get everything done pre: Xmas so I could enjoy myself without thinking about it (I'm an NQT in English although my department has a lot of SoW and resources in place I still like to go through it all and make it my own). Perhaps your colleague is a similar type of person, dixie64? I wanted to do that but needless to say that didn't happen and I am still doing things in dribs and drabs with mega planning needed in the New Year. Thankfully I got all my marking (year 7 writing assessments and y10 controlled assessments) done.

I don't know whether it is a blessing that my school took all our laptops in for upgrading over Christmas and all our passwords got reset to we can't access school software remotely or even get into our emails??!!

9. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I'm very similar to you indeed, PianoPete! Our school banned anyone going in there over the holidays, which is reassuring in my opinion ... doesn't mean I'm not working my butt off at home. I'm trying to make sure that I'm spending dedicated mornings or afternoons doing some marking or planning and then switching off and enjoying myself ... not that this has worked out oo well so far!

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have 30 pieces of Year 10 coursework to mark and a couple of Year 11 pieces of work and then plan some lessons for the coming weeks.
    I haven't even made a start yet!

11. I am about to start my first nqt post and went down with flu on Xmas Eve, am still suffering but having to plan lessons etc... Have had no resources or help and feeling pretty rubbish to be honest - I think I have chosen the wrong profession.

12. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Don't think that way - your sick so thats not going to help you either.

I started my NQT year in Sept so I'm slightly ahead of you but I felt the same at the beginning. I went in and asked for the scheme of work - but it turned out to be **** and i ended up using the one from my last school placement. Then a few days before we started I was told there was no photocopying budget - so all my planning for the first few weeks was shot down in flames!
    Felt like **** - hated the school - kids were a nightmare cos I was new - but honestly after a few weeks everything just mellowed out. I got the hang of planning, met some lovely people as colleagues which helped me settle, and I got the students under control (we now have a good relationship). By the time Christmas came I was really happy - and honestly, I'm looking forward to starting school tomorrow.
    Keep your chin up, go in positive, and if you still dislike it at Easter then maybe have a rethink, but don't shut the door before you've walked through it!