1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload at A level

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by keepthespirit, Dec 21, 2014.

1. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

I am disappointed not to have received any response. However, I do appreciate people are already fully burdened with actual responsibilities and time is an issue.

I am personally concerned for my nephew who I feel is doing too many, five, and can see no real advantage. I would have thought it better to concentrate on three to achieve as high a level as possible.

I recognise that I am no longer employed and, in any case, no experience in this area. Therefore I am not in a position to give informed advice. That is why I posted in the hope of someone sharing their views.

Happy Christmas everyone and may the New Year bring all you wish yourselves.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

My rcent experience is in an independent where we have consciously avoided discussion of league tables - the cynic might say that as we're not very selective, then we'd not expect to be high up the table anyway. What we have very consciously considered in terms of A/AS choices is what's right for the pupils concerned. In addition we have tried ever so hard to make sure that they get more than just A Levels - all sorts of other activities and sports and things. So on the whole we've looked at 3 to A2, plus an AS. Weaker candidates would go for three only, or even 2 + 1. Four to A2 is a big commitment which the best pupils sail through, but those who aren't the very best find difficult. Three A* at A2 is worth so much more than four Bs.

In the very competitve courses where there are more applicants with four A/A* than places, I remain unconvinced that five will tip the balance: D of E Gold, for example, might. Problem is in this area that we are considering a large number of admissions tutors with different views, different pressures, and different patterns of applicants: generalisations are not always helpful.

3. keepthespirit

Thanks Skeoch, that is really helpful. I applaud your school's philosophy. Just over 10 years ago I was saddened when a parent in another catchment area told me that they had decided on a private education. The reason being that state schools (primary !) were too rigid and directed from above - not child centred.

Thanks again.

4. keepthespirit

I have been advised to research University web sites. I find that a prestigious University does not want the 'accumulation of A levels' but wishes to see more depth and breadth in chosen subjects. The general expectation is of 3 possibly 4 A levels.

It appears my cynicism is correct. The interests of making the school look good seems to be considered more important than student wellbeing and personal fulfillment.

Perhaps it is significant that the only response came from an independent school.