1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

workload and release time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BirchwoodRose, Oct 2, 2015.

1. BirchwoodRose

BirchwoodRose New commenter

I'm in my fifth year of teaching in primary. I've recently taken on leadership of lower ks2 classes (3 mixed classes) and have led science for 4 years. I teach full time and love my job but am struggling with workload. In addition to the above (including the obvious reports, assessment, planning, marking, class assemblies etc), I am doing an npqml for middle leadership, mentoring an nqt, have a pgce student in my class, run the year 5 residential, run netball squad and environment council, run nqt courses and more. My job description has not changed since 2012 so covers none of the above and I do not receive any release time (beyond regular ppa) or tlr. I love all the things I do with school and would hate to give anything up but am struggling to get work complete and am feeling very stressed. I work at least 60 hours a week and delegate where I can. I have approached senior leadership but they won't give me regular release time to help. Another member of staff does pretty much the same as me (slightly less in fact) and gets a morning a week release time. Feeling very frustrated. My head seems to think I have to give up the things I love in order to lessen my workload but this seems very unfair. Just a bit frustrated. Any advice welcome!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The upshot is that you do need to prioritise.

If your head won't agree to release time from the essential and contracted part of your role - the teach full time bit, then you do need to relieve yourself of the additional work that is causing your working hours to escalate and invariably causing you stress.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

It sounds to me like your head doesn't want you to do all of these things and that's why they won't give you any time.

You can't choose to do lots of things outside your normal job and then expect time away from your core purpose in my opinion...

snowyhead and DYNAMO67 like this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Give up everything that isn't in your core job description, and only take things on in future if you are given time to do it. Otherwise you'll get swamped again....

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Agree with SBE above. This is an issue of your own making and one you can solve. Go back and say to the ht that what they said was fair enough, but you are going to have to drop the Eco club and sports teams.

The pgce student will eventually pay dividends if they are decent, but you could have said no. The middle leaders thing again is something you could have said no to.

Cut away those things that are not necessary

snowyhead and School Boy Error like this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

As others have said all of these things you have taken on voluntarily, with good intentions, of course. Unfortunately, many new(ish) teachers feel that they have to prove themselves and end up burning out. You are entitled to a decent work/life balance (as upheld by STPCD 2015) so knock a few of those things on the head. In my honest opinion the NPQML for middle managers is only of benefit to you if you really do want to climb to the heady heights of deputy or head teacher. If that's what you really want then focus on making a good job of that and drop the other stuff. You can always pick them up again once the NPQML is out of the way in a year or so. They'll always be someone else, desperate to make a good impression, who's willing to snap up some of the crumbs you drop. Despite your guilt at letting other staff and the pupils down, no one will suffer.