1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workload advice please - mfl teachers!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lady123, Dec 7, 2017.

1. lady123

lady123 New commenter

Hi,
    I could really do with some advice please.
    I am currently in my second year of teaching in a challenging secondary, this is after a spell teaching at a middle school and before that a primary school abroad. I have 16 years exp in total.
    Having been graded as outstanding for many years I have always put work first but I feel like I'm really struggling at the moment. I need to know whether my workload is normal or whether it's time to look else where.

I'm currently working every evening from 6.30 - 9.00 , also Friday Night, sat morning and sun afternoons.

1. I have 10 classes, I have to assess them once a half term, this marking workload I struggle with. I have to make a lot of my own assessments for my bottom sets as nothing is suitable for them.
    2. I have been asked to moderate other schools gcse exam work in the last week ( during my own assessment period).
    3. My nc s are taken off me so i can cover absent staff.
    4. The ks3 data I enter on Sims after an assessment i also have to enter on to a separate mfl tracker.
    5. I get frequent emails and messages about work in evenings and weekends.
    6. I found out yesterday thru email that my ks4 group, a bottom set, a group I have battled with, nurtured, made good progress with over a year and a bit, will now be split up. Apparently the year group are being reset after Xmas. Am devastated .
    There is more I could probably mention.

Can someone tell me if this is the norm please in mfl deps?

Thanks

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

you need to talk to your union rep about some of these - entering data twice, moderating other schools' work for free!!!??? Covering for planned absences? These are not right.

Emails at night - ignore them until the following morning. You are entitled to.

bonxie likes this.
  3. davidgclare

davidgclare New commenter

I also work every evening 6.30 - 9.00 and later, but I do leave school straight after it ends and have a break before I do my school work. I never work on Saturdays or during holidays, I work a couple of hours most Sunday evenings. I think all of this is part of the job and not unreasonable.
    Re creating assessments, could you make them shorter and store them, carefully labelled,so you can re-use them in the future? Could you share the burden with colleagues? Are there not assessments available that pupils have done in past years that can be re-used?
    Moderating other schools' work is totally unacceptable, unless you have been consulted and you choose to do it. If you are asked to do a one-off session session for a couple of hours with a nearby school then maybe I would do it, to gain experience, make contacts and help out. If it is more than this, then I would expect to be paid. You have the choice to say yay or nay. There should be no expectations on you.
    You are entitled to a certain amount of non-contact periods by law. If this is infringed, seek union advice.
    All teachers get frequent emails during the evenings and weekends. I often send them to colleagues during the evenings. This is because this is the time that I am working and thinking and planning and it is a good time for me to communicate without distractions. Sometimes I send an email in the evening about something which crosses my mind and I don't trust myself to remember when I see the person at school. Or I know I am unlikely to see the colleague given we are both teaching six period days. THERE IS NO OBLIGATION FOR YOU TO READ OR REPLY TO ANY EMAILS sent in the evenings or weekends. Nobody expects you to. Nobody should be sending text messages to colleagues in the evenings or weekends; one's mobile phone is personal and shouldn't be used for school stuff, apart from in the odd emergency.
    Re a class of yours being re-set / split up. When this happens it is very frustrating and annoying, especially if you weren't consulted in advance. SLT do make decisions like that for reasons they think are helpful. The only thing you can do is to speak to the member of SLT you find the most approachable and express your concerns. Whilst this doesn't alter the decision, it may help for the future.

pascuam49 and bonxie like this.
  4. lady123

lady123 New commenter

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

5. erhgiez

erhgiez New commenter

6. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

What you're being asked to do is ludicrous. Double entry of data and loss of NCs should be a no-no. Try bunging your kids on the Christmas section of www.languagesonline.org.uk and get yourself up to date. Your current position is unsustainable. Go to or join a union, or move schools!