1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working with people you cannot stand or trust..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bizent, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

How do you stay professional?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Keep your head down (fnar, fnar!), keep your mouth shut and keep out of the staffroom.
    [​IMG]

3. I wish I knew!
    I've met some back-stabbing bestards in my time, and never really coped with them well, because the lack of trust seems to extend itself, until you get completely paranoid!
    I've usually moved schools.
    (Sorry. Not much help, but I do sympathise. I'm sure it wasn't always like this, was it? In general I mean)

4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I think this may be my only option...I was beginning to think it might have been me but I had one of those "shining moments" when I realised that the pair of them are like grinning assassins (not sure of that is the right saying). I'd say they were bullies but that sounds a bit wet.

5. bizent

bizent Star commenter

wish it were that simple Belle - they come to me!!

6. It is bullying and no, it's not "wet" to think of it in those terms. The thing I've always found most kids find shocking when discussing the topic of bullying,is that bullying is not something that just happens to them, young people, or in the playground - it happens to adults in the wider environment too. And of course it does. Sadly.
    Why should you move school? Why should you be driven out by them? No way should you do that.
    I'd report them, officially. Take it to the Head. It's not as if you are going to lose their *friendship* is it?

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

You've read my mind sea pink!
    One of them is an assistant head the other is a member of my department.
    They are like peas in a pod. Very "front of house". An excellent way of being seen to do the right thing but once you start to scratch the surface there is very little there.
    If I were to take it further i'd be brushed aside "oh but AH is lovely - how can you not get on with her??"

8. BelleDuJour

Hide...in a cupboard!

9. BelleDuJour

Answer 'because she is a two face bitch who would sell her own grandmother'!
    Mwah, mwah!

*for those who think I am being flippant I am. But Biz and I are RL buddies!*

10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

11. bizent

bizent Star commenter

oops sorry for caps.

12. Lol.

13. BelleDuJour

Don't diss the pigs Biz! [​IMG]

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Have you been keeping a record of all the things they have been doing?

15. To a certain extent I quite enjoy being around people I actively dislike, as long as they can't make any real difference to my life or working conditions. Be as arsy, difficult, whiny, sanctimonious, ass-creeping, pernickety, martyred or rude as you like and give me every opportunity to give it right back. I can walk away at the end of the day smirking while you're still ruining your blood pressure.
    I prefer harmonious but the frisson of combat is often entertaining.

16. I work with a man who I can't stand, mainly because he speaks to me in a very patronising tone and assumes I don't know how to do my job and tells me things about the students characters assuming I don't know them despite the fact that I've worked with some of them for 2 years longer than him! I'm not sure how to cope to be honest-I'm thinking of transferring unit. Everybody knows how I feel about him except him himself. I would suggest just sitting down and going through some sort of mediation process so everybody can air how they are feeling but not sure it would work when the issue is with more than 1 person and it wouldn't work with me anyway as I don't have the right level of confidence to confront people face to face about their behaviour-I wish I did but I don't.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This is a huge caveat.
    So do I.
    It's only a frisson when you can't possibly get hurt.

18. In what way could someone you dislike hurt you?
    If they're using their position to bully you you need only collect the evidence and act on it. If they have no real power over you but badmouth you to others, the opportunities are legion to put them down and pay them out in public.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are you replying to me or is this just a general comment about the issue? As in a rhetorical question.

20. General question. Obviously a person in authority over you could abuse their power because they disliked you but that is a serious allegation of bullying rather than just having to work with someone who gets on your t1ts.