1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working with nqt

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by oldgreywolf, Jan 2, 2011.

1. You've been teaching successfully at this school for three years and you're an established teacher. You seem to have an insecure NQT, not the end of the world.
    However your head seems worryingly bad at managing people - must have been on the standard 'how to be a rubbish manager' course that so many heads excel on. The head's poor skills make the situation potentially dangerous for you.
    If your head immediately reacts to one side of a tale by deciding it must be the truth, then things are worrying. If you are being accused of something unprofessional, then this should be done correctly, with all sides given equal air time.
    The next steps are pretty much up to you. You might
    • leave things as they are. They might go away. or they might get worse - and this means further down the line anyone could say 'it must be true because it wasn't denied at first'
    • privately ask your head to clarify what you are accused of doing, and insist on giving your side, then leave her/him to mull it over
    • have a talk with your union rep. The NQTs actions as you describe them could be deemed harassment - bullies aren't always your manager at work. Ask for advice about how to handle this accusation.
    • Ask not to be partnered with the NQT - this might be a good idea in any case, as you describe not feeling experienced enough to mentor.
    • be cautious and limit your trust to people who are worth it. Going behind your back to complain to your head about you doesn't strike me as trustworthy behaviour, so if you are asked to 'sit down and talk', ensure this is done in the presence of someone else who you trust.

2. You know my head then! Joking aside, I think we probably both need to air our grievances and this might be best with a mediator. As I said before, I get on well with his mentor and trust her, so she would be a good choice. Thank you for you advice - it's much appreciated and has helped me to mull things over.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would talk to the mentor, not as a complaint, butins a 'I'm finding this really hard and I'm unhappy and don't know what to do' sort of manner.

I would also have a chat with your HT (Do you have an inset day this week?) and say that you have dreaded coming back and are feeling unhappy. Don't say it is all the NQTs fault, but do say that it is the relationship with them that is causing you the problem and that you don't think you are wholly to blame.

For the planning, just plan basic outlines of lessons together and then do the nitty gritty yourselves in whatever way you wish. This can easily be done with you emailling the outline (Basically objectives and outcomes for each lesson in the unit) for some lessons and the NQT for others. Be prepared to take on the lion's share of this though, you are the more experienced teacher.

Do you still have contact details for your 'second mum'? Can you chat to them and basically have a good whinge. One where you don't have to be professional and can just pour your heart out?

Lastly, you are the experienced teacher and you can manage this. you can make it better. Take control and ensure things get better. Demonstrate to everyone who matters you maturity, professionalism, leadership, etc in tackling this and making it work. You might never get on well, but you can make the working relationship function.